Monday, April 14, 2008

The end of an era....


This picture was taken in August 1996...the first day of school! As a family, we made the decision to educate our children at home and with plenty of excitement and and a little fear, we jumped into it wholeheartedly! Megan was just starting the 4th grade and due to military transfers, she'd already been in three schools and other than Kindergarten, had never finished a full year of school in one place . In all honesty, we knew we would be moving to another state after one year and I told myself that if it didn't work out, they would be switching "schools" anyway and we could just put them back in traditional school after the move.

Well, it worked out and here we are 12 years later! Zach is now a month shy of being 18 years old and is finishing up the last of his 12th grade lessons this week. -sigh- Part of me is ecstatic at being done with all the lesson plans and paperwork, but at the same time, the reality is that it means my "babies" are growing up and moving on to the next phase of their lives. Looking back, it seems as though the time has just flown by! I'm really happy for them both...Megan is going to college and working at her favorite book store. This fall, Zach will attend college on the east coast with a full ROTC scholarship. I couldn't be a prouder mom. I'm excited for all of us as we begin the next phase of our lives! Meg and Zach....love you guys! Thanks for making my job easy!! :)

6 comments:

  1. Kudos to you Michelle...I can see from pictures and all the things you write about both kids that you did the right thing at the time and in the long run it was the best thing ever!!! You ROCK as a Homeschool teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yayyy Michelle! Peg said it all...YOU ROCK!!! woohooo!! And that is such a GREAT pic of the kids, thanks for sharing it with us!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats to you and your family, Michelle! I've always considered it such a privilege to have my children at home to educate. Blessings to you on the next season of your life!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a couple of cuties! Congratulations on a job well done!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What sweethearts. What a bittersweet moment. Congratulations!

    Thank-you for your kind works on my Hot Chocolate club BOM. I did a search and missed yours. Can you post a picture? Do you have any ideas for the quilting?

    ReplyDelete
  6. That post about made me cry. I could just feel all your emotions! Congrats to both of the kids and you too mom!

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from my blog friends! I had to disable "Anonymous" comments though. Thanks for stopping by!!