Sunday, May 25, 2008

My first....

...mitered corner, that is! I've been quilting for about 18 years and I've never been brave enough to try a mitered border. But I did it! I followed Bonnie's hints and tricks and it worked perfectly! No special tools or anything...just my ruler and a pencil. So cool! I love how the subtle stripes in the fabric match up, gives it a little extra design.

So the top is ready for quilting, but I need to get batting. JoAnn's has it on sale, so I'll pick some up on Monday. The backing is the same as the border fabric and the binding will be the dark blue that is in the setting strips. Even though I didn't have a plan when I sewed these blocks, I'm really pleased with how this quilt came together. It's going to a friend for her high school graduation...I hope she likes it!

Also today, I made a couple of birthday blocks for an exchange I'm part of... the participants send a piece of fabric of their choice and sometimes choose a particular block.











And since I haven't shared any kitty/quilt inspector photos in a while, here's a couple I thought were cute. I walked into our bedroom and saw that the quilt on our bed was lumpy and out of place.....

So I lifted up the edge to find Smokey is inspecting the underside of my quilts now. He is so thorough in his job, isn't he? No slackers here! This isn't the first time I've found him under there , but it was the first time he posed for such a cute picture. :)


8 comments:

  1. Michelle,
    I knew those 2 fabrics would "finish" off that top...You did a great job and I know it will be a huge hit!!!

    Your birthday blocks are really nice too...
    Peg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on the mitered corners. Now send some of that courage to the rest of us chickens!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great quilt and kitty pics Michelle!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I took a look at your quilts. Nice works!
    Enjoyed visiting your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The blue and yellow quilt is beautiful...congratulations on the miters!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The blue and yellow quilt is wonderful! The borders work so well with the blocks! A great gift, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great picture of the "quilt inspector" lol!! I love your blue and yellow quilt. Don't tell anyone but I've not yet done a mitered border either...shhhh. I have been contemplating it though :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your blue & yellow quilt is beautiful with perfect mitered borders. WOW! Love, love, love the kitty photo. It is one of those "Awwww" photos :)

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from my blog friends! I had to disable "Anonymous" comments though. Thanks for stopping by!!