Saturday, June 28, 2008

What happens to snow in 90 degree weather?

We're having a heatwave here in the Pacific Northwest! 90 degrees! LOL I know that's not unusual compared to some parts of country and I'm not complaining one bit. We've waited a long time for temps to warm up here...just a week ago, it was still in the 60's.


So what does one do when it's 90 and there's no A/C to be found...head up to Mt Rainier, of course! (everyone and their brother seemed to have the same idea, by the way...it was crowded!) It was a bit cooler up there, but not much...it was quite warm in the sun and the snow was melting fast. We saw probably a hundred waterfalls of all sizes. Some of the larger waterfalls were really fast and powerful.

To give you a small glimpse of how much snow has melted and still needs to melt, look at this picture of the visitor center from February:

And here is the same walkway today. You can see there is still lots of snow left!

I never get tired of seeing the beauty of Mt. Rainier....especially with a clear, blue sky:

For some quilty news, I went to my LQS Quilt til you Wilt group last night. I was able to make all the blocks for quickie quilt. I'm making it for a neighbor that has become a good friend. It's made from 4 charm packs of Moda's Oak Leaves & Reel fabric line. I'm pretty happy with it, but there are things I wish I could have done differently, but oh well, what's done is done. Someone at the group said it looked Christmas-y...great! Not what I wanted to hear. I'm still deciding on a layout, but I'm pretty limited because there are only 20 blocks. It's seems all other layouts end up uneven....I still need to sew the blocks together and add borders. Seeing it here in the picture, it's kinda growing on me. :)


I also made the first block from the Patchwork Party blocks. It's called Capitol City Grill. These blocks are a bit of an extravagance ($7 each), but I love the Prairie Paisley fabrics, so I caved and signed up! Anyone else making these?

Here I go again...another long post! I hope you all have a great weekend and enjoy the sunshine! :)

4 comments:

  1. Hi Michelle,So nice to hear from you. We used to live in Issaquah before moving here to VA. I loved it and miss the view of mountains. It always made me laugh when people would say "Mt. Rainier is OUT today". Your little quilt is adorable! And I can't wait to see how this Prairie Paisley quilt developes. Love this block!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your photo of Mt. Rainier--looks like a postcard!!!! I only saw Mt. Rainier from the plane as every day in Seattle was cloudy. Hope you survive your heat wave! The Oak Leaves & Reel quilt looks fab. I thought the one I made out of the same line looked kinda Xmasy also but oh well. I am sure your neighbor will love it and leave it out year-round. Wow I'm chatty today :) take care!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot wait to cut into my Patchwork blocks......Yours are nicey!!!

    Peg

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from my blog friends! I had to disable "Anonymous" comments though. Thanks for stopping by!!