Monday, March 09, 2009

A finished UFO!

The blocks from this quilt were collected over 1.5 years in a swap with an online Thimbleberries group. Each month we swapped four 6" churn dash blocks and/or four 6" log cabins, both made with only Thimbleberries fabrics. As you can see, it took quite a few months to collect enough blocks to make this large queen size quilt!


As I contemplated what to do with my two stacks of blocks, it occured to me to use them together. I played around in EQ5 and decided on this layout. I am sooo happy with this quilt...it's my new favorite! (I say that about a lot of my newly finished quilts) :) I recently received it back from my favorite long-armer and had to quickly get it bound. I decided to make the binding "scrappy," mainly because I didn't have enough of one fabric, but I also just like the effect the different fabrics make around the edge.

I immediately had to put my new quilt on our bed. As you can see, my quilt inspectors wasted no time in trying it out. What is unique about this picture though is that they are together. Whiskers (black one) does not like Smokey being near him and will move away when he gets close. I don't know who was here first, but they both had an unhappy look on their faces. :P They didn't stay very long....I walked back in a few minutes later and they were both gone.


On a final note, my thoughts and prayers go to the Winter's family and the congregation of First Baptist Church in Maryville, IL. We were members of that church for three years when we lived in IL and are just heartbroken at the loss of Pastor Fred. He was an awesome man and a wonderful Pastor. He will be greatly missed by many...but we know he is with the Lord today in Heaven.

16 comments:

  1. this looks wonderful, love the quilt...
    doesn't if feel great to have another quilt done and you can use it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have watched in horror since yesterday the news about the brutal murdering of that pastor....and my heart is broken for his family and his congregation (most especially those who were in church when this tragic event occurred). I am sure you are sick about this since you were once a member of that church.

    On a happier note, your quilt is lovely. You put together a wonderful setting for it and you should be very well-pleased. I am hoping that someday I will do a large quilt, too....but it's not happening anytime soon, I fear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The quilt is gorgeous! I love the layout and the fabrics. I see some that I have or did have in the past. Would you be willing to share your pattern with the dimensions and size to cut the blocks? I would love to have it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fabulous quilt! I just love it. I love churn dashes. You did a great job with the layout.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another absolutely lovely quilt with the Thimbleberries churn dash/log cabin blocks. Your quilt inspectors always make me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the quilt! You did a fabulous job with the layout. The quilt inspectors seem to approve also. Guess the temptation of a new quilt overran disliking each other LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful quilt Michelle!!! Love your design!

    So sorry for your loss. :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your quilt is wonderful. I love the colors and the layout. I agree - it's a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's an absolute beauty Michelle. You did great on the layout. The churn dash blocks looked small when the quilt was on the floor but seeing it on the bed and with your Q.I.'s, I can see they are pretty good size. Congrats on such a pretty quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this churn dash quilt...I also love your pinwheel quilt in the previous post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a gorgeous quilt, Michelle! I love log cabin blocks and scrappy quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very clever and what a gorgeous quilt! I'm making some Churn Dash blocks now and would never have thought of combining these two blocks together. Perhaps I need to rethink my design.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really like this quilt! It looks good on your bed too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely quilt Michelle! Great design!

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from my blog friends! I had to disable "Anonymous" comments though. Thanks for stopping by!!