Sunday, August 29, 2010

Scraps!

Here's a quick update on my scrap progress! In a previous post, I shared that I was buckling down on my overflowing scrap bins and getting them cut into usable pieces. I adopted Bonnie Hunter's "Leader and Ender" technique and love it!

A couple days ago, I got back to work cutting a few more scraps and here is just a small portion of my efforts! I have 38 nine patch blocks sewn for the summer challenge and plenty more 2.5" squares to make lots more (yeah, I moved across the country in the middle of the summer, so I'm a bit behind!). I also cut bunches of 2" for my leader ender project that is coming together nicely. I cut quite a bit more in other sizes, but I put them all away before I remembered to take a picture. :)

Here is a new picture of my scrap bin...still looks pretty full, huh? I think they multiply overnight when I'm asleep. I only have one small bin besides this one left, so I'm making progress!
Stay tuned and happy quilting!

11 comments:

  1. WOW!! That's fantastic.

    I just got my Leader/Ender book and can't wait to dive in. I plan on cutting up a storm next Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you want, we can cut some of your scraps one day on the GO cutter. We can easily cut 2.5 inch squares with no problem at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmmm....I should mail Pat some of my scraps and have her cut them up for me LOL Sounds like a good idea to me Michelle.
    Looks like you have the start of a nice quilt top.....
    Keep at em!!!
    Peg

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you!! I am hoping one of my friends (or me) wins a GO! cutter so I can do this to all my scraps. I have scraps sorted by color in shoe boxes (stuffed full). I keep saying I'll cut them into leaders/enders and never get around to it.ki

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hang in there, you are whittling away at them but I must warn you...they scrap breed when you are not in the room....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great scrap progress! I didn't know there was a book on "Leader and Ender" technique! I can't recall where I heard about doing this, but I've been doing it with scraps for years -- not throwing anything away unless smaller than 2" square -- and using them up at my machine. However, I've always called them "Starters and Stoppers". Maybe I should have written a book with that title. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  7. great job cutting up your scraps Michelle!! and you"ll have a wonderful quilt and an empty scrap box in the end! I"ve been bitten by the scrap bug too :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm trying to use up my scraps, too! Looks like you are making a good size dent in yours. I've been making the summer-long 9 patches as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. your scrap bin sure looks interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am a big Bonnie Hunter fan too and have made a few quilts with her patterns. Congrats on making a dent in your scraps!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! You are ambitious, Michelle! It will be worth it when you are done. I've been trying to use scraps and fabric from my stash instead of buying more. I don't seem to be having much of an impact on the scrap bin, though! : )

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from my blog friends! I had to disable "Anonymous" comments though. Thanks for stopping by!!