Thursday, November 04, 2010

Found Treasure!

Do you ever find things that you forgot you had? I do...quite frequently, in fact! I pulled out my bin of "novelty" fabrics in search of something that I could use to make a couple of baby quilts for donation. I probably pulled about 1/2 of the fabrics out, when I discovered a ziplock buried deep down inside. Please understand...this bin is fairly well organized, fabrics are folded and I can scan what is inside pretty easily. But somehow, this ziplock had been hidden from view for quite sometime! I had forgotten all about it. Inside I found a nice little stash of novelty charms. Apparently, I had been part of a swap at some point. There were two of each charm and each measures 4.5". I vaguely remember participating in this swap and I know I probably had some grand plan for an I Spy quilt.

I decided this would be a perfect solution for the needed donation quilts. I separated the duplicate charms and came up with two stacks that look like this:

Then, because time is a bit of an issue right now (when isn't it??), I just sewed them up and made two quilts! These two quilts are from just one stack of charms. I have that stack above still available to make more. I think they turned out quite cute. All the charms are different in each quilt, so it's still could be a type of I Spy quilt, don't you think? The backing and binding also came from my stash...awesome! Love when that happens.
The quilts will be donated to a Crisis Pregnancy Center in Indiana. Our Retreat Mama collects the quilts at retreat and delivers them to the center for us.

Oh yes...did I mention I'm going on a quilting retreat in less than a week! Yay! I can't wait!

Happy Quilting!

6 comments:

  1. Great quilts and a fun find in your novelty bin!! Have a great time on your retreat. I bet you are super excited!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These I Spy quilts are so cute. I love that you found the charms & didn't set them aside to do "later", but went right to work creating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The quilts are wonderful! So happy and bright, and for some reason they're especially appealling :-)

    Oh, and a very famous person once said, "One of the advantages of being disorganized is the joy of discovery." a.a. Milne

    Just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aren't surprises nice, especially when they help you complete something? Who ever receives them will be very happy to have them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful all around, the surprises you found and what you did with them!!!

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from my blog friends! I had to disable "Anonymous" comments though. Thanks for stopping by!!