Thursday, November 18, 2010

Memories

For some reason, I have memories of watching my Nana make apple pie. I don't think she made it all that often or at least I know I wasn't there every time she made it. It's just one of those activities that takes me back to the time I watched her make one. I remember it very vividly, standing next to her in her kitchen watching her peel the apples and slice them up.
Then she added the sugar, flour and cinnamon...I remember she always added pats of butter to the top of the apples. Does everyone do that? I remember thinking it was weird at the time, but of course, I always add them now...
I don't think my pie tastes as good as I remember hers tasting.
I miss her. :(

Thanks for the memories Nana....


Oh and a bit of quilting retreat update...I started this top at retreat, but had to finish the borders at home. Now it's ready for quilting! It's made from a layer cake of Moda's "Saltbox Harvest." There is a few more days of fall before it's time to pull out the Christmas decorations, right? I better hurry!

Happy Quilting!

12 comments:

  1. Very, very pretty, Michelle, and I love all those little cornerstones. I hope you had a shortcut for those! The border is perfect! The pie looks wonderful! Not Christmas yet, please!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can smell that apple pie baking all the way in Missouri!! LOL!!! And the borders look wonderful. Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks so yummy. Apple is Penny's favorite. That quilt is very pretty. It was perky without being tooooo bright.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUMMY...save me a slice I'll be right over!

    Lovely quilt too...oh gosh..so nice for Fall!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll have mine with ice cream, please! What a lovely quilt, Michelle, a real Fall beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the quilt top! I need to make an apple pie...yours looks yummy! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the top and I think the border adds just enough "punch" to make it interesting!!!
    Your apple pie looks delicious!!!
    How did it taste?
    Peg

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a nice tribute to your Nana with your apple pie blog update Michelle! My mom use to put pats of butter on top of the apples too! She use to make her crusts from scratch and I remember cutting in the shortening and flour for her! I just love your latest quilt too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The pie sure looks delicious! Yes, my mother put pats of butter on the apples and so do I. Apple pie is my favorite - not the store bought kind, though. It has to be home made, don't you agree? I usually make one for Thanksgiving along with pumpkin pies. I love your quilt too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This post has all the good stuff in it! Apple Pie and a delicious looking Autumn quilt. I love those colors. You picked a great layout to show off those colors! It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love it Michelle. What a great line of fabric! Hurry!!! It's almost December. :) Oh, and that pie looked delicious. "Looked"...I'm sure it's gone.

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from my blog friends! I had to disable "Anonymous" comments though. Thanks for stopping by!!