Wednesday, February 02, 2011

Every quilt has a story....

...and this one already has a doozy. First let me say, I needed to start another project like I needed a hole in the head, but you know the story...I'm a glutton for punishment. This quilt is called Hometown Christmas by Thimbleberries. I've loved Thimbleberries for years, especially the older designs. I somehow acquired the 4 pattern books for Hometown Christmas about 5 years ago and I've always had it on my "someday" list.

A few weeks ago, my two partners in crime, Peggy and Robin, brought up the idea of starting Hometown Christmas this year together. Of course, it didn't take much for all of us to jump on board! They both had the kit in their "stash," and I decided I would finally start the search for the original fabrics or something similar that I could use to start piecing the quilt. This is a BIG quilt and I soon found out that finding fabric wasn't going to be an easy task. It's almost impossible to find any of the original fabrics from the Hometown Christmas line for sale and I wasn't having good luck finding substitutions online. I was frustrated! What was I going to do? I couldn't let my two BFF's down! LOL (really...I know this is not a catastrophic problem in the big scheme of things, but...)

One day, Peggy decides to post a question on her blog...."Does anyone have a Hometown Christmas kit for sale?" She'll have to tell you the exact timeline, but I think within a matter of hours, she had THREE people contact her about selling their kit. The best part...one of the ladies also lives in New Jersey! They made plans to meet and "do the deal." LOL There was Peggy...meeting someone at a random exit on the New Jersey Turnpike to buy Thimbleberries fabric!! I can just see it now. Her family probably thought she was crazy...meeting strangers in strange places to buy fabric! But of course, she was another nice quilter, just like you and me. She and Peggy hit it off right away. Quilters are the best, aren't they!!

So now, after a fun visit to Peggy's house on Saturday with Robin, I have the kit in my hot little hands. :) Of course I had to get started right away too!
Here are the first three sections from Book One.




Who knows what other stories this quilt will have, but for now it has a great story of friendship and perseverance behind it! Thank you Peggy for looking out for me and making it happen! :)

11 comments:

  1. Peggy rocks. I know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it, love it, luh-uh-uh-ove it!!! :-D Hometown Christmas is on my UFO list for the year...I only lack the last three sections in Book 4!!! I had trouble finding the original fabrics -- so Peggy's solution was inspired!! :-D My substitutions are close in color and texture -- all Thimbleberries, of course! :-D I can't wait to see your progress!! What fun!!
    Blessings,
    Mary Lou

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a neat story! Yes, quilters are the best!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful story!! Your partners in crime know how to get things done (and get you another project) LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very fun. I made this quilt the year the kit was released. It is one of my favorites. It is, however, filled with small errors but I love it anyway. I just finished the 2010 kit Village Green.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Had to laugh at the image of strangers meeting at a NJ Tpke. exit to buy fabric. Truth is stranger than fiction sometimes. The quilt is beautiful, and you are making very fast progress (as always ;)!

    ReplyDelete
  7. you certainly have a good friend in Peggy. I love this quilt!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Too funny... meeting a complete stranger to buy fabric! Gotta love a story like that...

    Quilters are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great story and a great friend. Can't wait to see this quilt when your finished it - which shouldn't take long, you've been on such a roll lately. Thanks for the bday wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am not familiar with that particular quilt but the colours are warm and soothing and I suspect it is going to be quite gorgeous.
    Love the story!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Michelle, I was chuckling through your whole post. Peggy is so cool! : )

    You blocks are beautiful! I love the red birds.

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from my blog friends! I had to disable "Anonymous" comments though. Thanks for stopping by!!