Saturday, February 12, 2011

retreat update

I had a great time at retreat! Who wouldn't?! LOL There were about 20 other ladies there as well. It was hosted by a "sister guild," so I didn't know very many people, but everyone was very friendly and welcoming. The two ladies in the picture below were the only two I knew before I arriving, they are guild members in my local guild as well. Irene is on the left, and Lisa is on the right. The picture shows our work area, which was quite nice! The pictures aren't the best...they were taken with my phone....

I took a couple of my own projects to work on, but after getting set up, I pulled out one of the big projects I had hoped to accomplish and realized I forgot one of the fabrics! It was the background for the entire thing, so there just wasn't anything I could do. Grrrr!! I was really trying to consolidate and not take too much stuff...but that was a big boo boo!

I also took a kit for this table runner. I love how this turned out and can't wait to get it quilted and on my table!!
My favorite project of the retreat was a new-to-me technique that I absolutely fell in love with. It's from a book and ruler by Gyleen Fitzgerald called Trash to Treasure Pineapple Quilts. We were told to bring 1.5" strips and 2.5" squares, but I had no idea what we were doing with them until we got to retreat. I'm so glad I brought my bin of 1.5" scraps! I am crazy for these blocks! Here are the 14 blocks I made...my design comes from how the lights/darks are placed.
Here are a couple more scrappier versions from the other gals....these have lights/darks mixed.
This one has dark blue on the final rows to make the circle effect. There are many, many variations to be made, just by changing the location of lights/darks. Very cool!


Happy Quilting!!

8 comments:

  1. EAch set of blocks was nice in their own way. I actually like yours the best, and I'm not just saying that 'cause you're one of my friends, I really do like yours best :)
    And have I mentioned that I was jealous you had those days to sew while I slaved away in work? If I didn't I was!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh I love your pineapple. That had to be such a duh moment when you realized you hadnt brought all you needed. But you had so little time to prepare! Glad you didnt forget your machine cord or something like that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you had fun at retreat. I'm am crazy for your pineapple blocks and jotted down the info. This is such a wonderful way to dig in to those strips!!! It's a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Gyleen's ruler and technique....it makes pineapple blocks so easy AND fun!!! Your blocks turned out really great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh! I love your pineapples! I've always loved this pattern. I need to look into getting that ruler! This is going to turn out fabulously!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love all the quilts! And that table runner is great! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love to make pineapple blocks! I even have one on my UFO list. I make mine via paper piecing, so would love to see your technique with the ruler.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with Conni--I want to see how you did it! Demo in May? I love pineapple quilts, but have always been a little intimidated by them.

    Your runner is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from my blog friends! I had to disable "Anonymous" comments though. Thanks for stopping by!!