Saturday, February 05, 2011

Saturday Sewing

I'm lucky and happy to be home sewing today. It's cloudy, rainy, and cold outside...so being inside is fine by me!

Two of my goals this year (every year, really) are 1) use up more of my stash, and 2) make more charity quilts. Now that's a match made in heaven, don't you think? Doesn't take a genius to figure out how those two goals go so nicely together. It's just making the effort and putting the time into accomplishing those goals. I like making infant/toddler size quilts for donation...they are quick to assemble and I can quilt them easily on my home machine.

My first project for the year is this Double 4 Patch in blues and neutrals. I made a BIG dent in my blue stash with just this one quilt. Isn't it cute? The pattern can be found at MaryQuilts. I don't think this one needs a border, I'll just quilt it and bind it in a darker blue.

Speaking of stash, I was shocked to see this:
Do you see the date? 1990? Are you kidding me? Have I had that fabric in my stash for 20+ years? Actually, I'm sure I have....I learned to quilt when I was pregnant with my youngest son. He's almost 21. Before that, I was making fabric bunnies and dolls and all those 80's type crafts. I'm pretty sure I used that fabric for bloomers on a patriotic bunny. LOL I wish I could tell you it's out of my stash forever, but it's really not...it IS however completely cut up into usable scrap sizes for leader/enders and scrap quilts!

Happy Quilting!

12 comments:

  1. I love your blue double 4-patch! I love that block pattern and am currently working on a pink and white double 4-patch. In fact, I'm taking a short break from it, having sewn all the block into rows and will be sewing rows together here in a while.

    As for aged fabric... I have some that must be close to 40 yrs old... bought it because I loved it and never made anything out of it. *lol*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the quilt Michelle!!! Isn't it funny revisiting old fabs that have been tucked away in your stash? great job on the stashbusting too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, that is so funny! I probably don't have anything that old (I don't think anyhow...but I'm scared to go look)
    You are doing a great job on the using up portion of your resolution!
    Keep up the good work!!!
    Peg

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the 4-patch idea.

    You know, you could always say that you bought the fabric much much later... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Michelle! Now I don't feel quite so bad with the age of some of my stash!! Maybe it's like fine wine...it gets better with age!! LOL!!! Love the blue and neutral quilt, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like may have gotten to the bottom of your stash!
    Cute quilt, I'm sure some lucky person will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. isn't it wonderful when we find such treasures in our stashes? The blue quilt is great

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great way to use up your stash. Cute quilt~

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love that blue quilt. I have to laugh when some quilters are SO intent on only buying the newest fabric lines, because.......even if I buy new lines, they become OLD as they sit in my stash and age!!! LOL When we are pretty sure the weather is beyond winter "stuff", I'll be in touch so we can get together, okay?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always love blues and all combos with them. I bet I have some as old as yours too! We probably all do. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the quilt.....beautiful colors! I can't believe 1990 was that long ago.....what happened to the time? LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Isn't it funny that after all that time, you still remember what you used the fabric for? I can ususally remember where I bought mine!

    I have a similar goal to use up scraps, and I've been wanting to make some baby quilts to have on hand for gifts. I've got two in the works right now!

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from my blog friends! I had to disable "Anonymous" comments though. Thanks for stopping by!!