Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Christmas Wish

I finally finished the Christmas Wish quilt from 2009 (?)! Better late than never...and now it's ready for NEXT Christmas. :) I loved doing this BOM from Gail Pan. It was a freebie and is actually still available on her website. I could probably even make this one again...I love the blocks!

I realized recently that I'm pretty thread ignorant. I tend to use the same thread for all my piecing (Aurifil), and another thread (Robinson-Anton 50 wt Cotton) for quilting and machine applique. I think I'm just comfortable with what I know looks good and will work nicely in my machine. A few months ago, I started the Village Square block of the month and one of the things I like about it is that it uses fabrics I wouldn't normally choose. But when it was time to do the applique, I realized I'd have to branch out a little and try something different when it came to the thread I chose.

Once again, I turned to one of my BFFs for guidance. Robin rocks when it comes to her knowledge of different threads and needles! I'm always picking her brain...and I'm sure she's tired of repeating the same things every year or so. LOL Thanks Robin! She's doing the same BOM and mentioned that she was using Sulky Rayon for the applique, so I figured I'd jump in and copy her, er...I mean try the same thing. LOL Lucky me, JoAnn's has Sulky on sale right now!
I'm so looking forward to the warmer temps that we've been promised for later this week. Bring on the sunshine!!

Happy Quilting!

12 comments:

  1. I, too, know little about threads. Your quilt turned out very nice! YAY for the warm weather but I bet we still get another few days of COLD before the month is over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, it took a second look to recognize the blocks, I made several of them too (before getting side-tracked and never finishing). I did mine in blue. I may have to pull them out of the UFO bin and get busy. Your quilt looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your quilt looks great, Michelle. I finished two of them and all the blocks are finished for a third but it's tough to get at this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should be proud of how nice that came out!!! 1 new holiday project ready to hang in December!
    Peg

    ReplyDelete
  5. I soooo love this quilt, amazing!! It is good that you have Robin to go to and I am so sure she does not mind one bit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Christmas Wishes looks wonderful! I love how you did the border! Congratulations on a beautiful finish! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Would you share the sizes for the pieces that border the embroidered blocks, the sashing and outer border triangles?

    ReplyDelete
  8. your quilt came out great Michelle!! and nice choice on the threads too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The quilt is beautiful, a treasure worth waiting for!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Heeeey! Weren't you working on those blocks once when we were at a retreat and there was a scary storm and a tree fell on some power lines (and a car) and we didn't have electricity in our sewing building and the camp man came to save us and we all had to do handwork in a room by the kitchen? Remember that? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL! All that and I forgot to say, it's beautiful! Well worth the time it took! : P

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the way you finished your Christmas Wishes! We're way ahead of the game for Christmas this year. LOL

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from my blog friends! I had to disable "Anonymous" comments though. Thanks for stopping by!!