Sunday, March 20, 2011

Quilting Day Project

I worked at a snail's pace, but this is what I worked on for National Quilting Day:

This is my first leader/ender project. Originally, the idea came from Bonnie's "Blue Ridge Beauty" quilt from her book "Adventures in Leaders & Enders," but when I started sewing units together, I didn't put them together according to her directions and didn't realize it until I had too many to take apart. :P So my blocks are Buckeye Beauty (6") or Jewel Box (12"). Either way, I'm happy with it and love it! I love that it is completely made from scraps and sewn as I was working on other projects. I wish I knew the exact date, but I truly think it was almost exactly a year ago that I started doing leaders/enders. I still want to add another border of some kind...any suggestions? It measures 75.5" x 87.5" now, and I'm hoping to add a border large enough to make it fit a queen bed, probably a 6" piano key border.

And of course, the obligatory quilt inspector picture....

Happy Quilting!

19 comments:

  1. So pretty! I too have a black kitty (she adopted us)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks Great Michelle!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! And it looks like you got approval from the quilt inspector too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful - and I love that you did this while working on other projects.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is just beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice and I like the idea of a piano-key border. As soon as we get beyond Easter (due to my many commitments at church between now and then), I hope I can get up there by you. And, hopefully, we can get over to see Peggy before the summer, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful! And my first thought for the border was for piano keys, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow... that quilt top is gorgeous... just gorgeous! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful "free" project. And your quilt inspector thinks so too :) I really need to get more organized and start a leader/ender project at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's gorgeous.... congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  11. tried to think of another adjective to describe this quilt but georgeous is what came to my mind!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's a beauty, for sure Michelle! And to think it was almost no effort. "Almost". :o)

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG, my leader and ender projects never got larger than about 6" square. It's amazing, isn't it, how quickly you can have the units for a quilt like this by doing leaders and enders? Simply beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love scrappy quilts and this one is amazing! I think this may be my next leaders and enders project once my scrappy Irish chain is done! Thanks for the inspiration! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  15. WOW! I love it, Michelle! I think a piano keys border would be perfect! That is one of my favorite blocks. I'm working on one of my UFO's for the BPF Challenge that are that design. They were from a swap, and I wish I had more. I'm putting them together for a throw. I'm going to blog stock you until you put your borders on! Can't wait to see the finished quilt. : P

    ReplyDelete
  16. The quilt is wonderful, and your kitty is beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It is lovely! I think a piano key border would be great.

    ReplyDelete
  18. !!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love your quilt!!! A serendipitous thing, your putting the triangles together differently...I think your quilt is amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love your leaser ender quilt, so delightfully sarappy-I have been meaning to do leaders and enders but always seem to forget!

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from my blog friends! I had to disable "Anonymous" comments though. Thanks for stopping by!!