Wednesday, April 06, 2011

This quilt needs a name....

I finished the borders for my leader/ender quilt last night...I am so pleased with this one! It's my first leader/ender project and I'm still amazed at how this quilt came together with what seems like no effort at all. (I guess I've blacked out all the hours of cutting scraps to acquire all those pieces, right?) I'm truly hooked on this idea of leaders and enders and can't imagine I'll ever stop sewing them!
Not the best picture because it was taken at midnight...but as you can see, Smokey, was burning the midnight oil right along with me. I laid the quilt out and before I turned around to pick up the camera, there he was, inspecting.

I'm sending this one off to the quilter, but first I have to piece the backing, which will also be from my stash. I also have to decide on a binding....should it be scrappy or one color? I've also been thinking about using a multi color stripe, and I've been keeping my eye out, but so far I haven't found just the right one.

Also, I need a name for this quilt! I keep calling it the "leader/ender quilt." Blah. I am not creative when it comes to stuff like that. The original idea came from Bonnie Hunter's book "Adventures in Leaders & Enders" and her quilt is called Blue Ridge Beauty. The first obvious thing...mine is not blue and I pieced my blocks "wrong" so I wasn't able to achieve the same layout design she has. That really wasn't a problem for me as I'm happy with this layout. I just don't think I can keep calling it Blue Ridge Beauty! The 6" block unit is a buckeye beauty, and when four of them are together, they make a jewel box block. Can any of you creative geniuses out there think of a name for me? There may just be a little prize in it for you if I choose the name you come up with. :)

Happy Quilting!

21 comments:

  1. Your quilt is gorgeous!! I can see why you are so happy with it. How about combining the name of the two blocks - Buckeye Jewel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a beautiful quilt! Not creative with names though, sorry. I like the name that "Stray Stitches" came up with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not good with names, but since I see Smokey in this photo with it, I'd call it Smokey Blue. (Unless, of course, you've named other quilts after this very dedicated quilt inspector!!! LOL) Regarding the binding, there are already so many colors going on that look great, but I think a solid binding might work best here. If not, I'd stick with scrappy instead of the stripe, but maybe you can find a stripe and audition it to see if it would be okay. (Gee...I'm not much help, am I??) It's a great quilt!!! That's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful quilt! I really love scrappy quilts and this one is just amazing! How about jewel box beauty?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it! The first thought that came to my mind was Alpha Omega.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your quilt is beautiful. It reminds me of a map. Why not call it Cityscape?
    Gita

    ReplyDelete
  7. How about "the beginning of something big?" since it got you hooked on leader/enders? I have been sewing using that system for years. It is to the point where I actually feel guilty when I don't have a unit to leave in the machine and have to cut the threads to remove my last piece.

    ~Joan

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful quilt... just lovely!

    I'm no good at naming anything except my children and... at one point in time... they weren't too pleased with 'em! *lol*

    ReplyDelete
  9. GORGEOUS quilt, and one of my favorite patterns! You did a great job putting all of those scraps together!

    (Oh, and Jewel Box Beauty is a very fitting name!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was going to say Buckeye Jewel but Linda coined it first. An alternate would be Buckeye Beauty or Buckeye Ridge or Buckeye Leader. You had to work for this fabric and it turned out wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks great Michelle...It never ceases to amaze me what you can get from scraps!
    Peg

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful. Since I'm originally from Ohio, I'm drawn to the names with Buckeye in it.... but the one I thought of was Surprise Ending. I bit of a play on the leaders/enders method and the fact that you got a different look when you pieced yours 'wrong'.

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  13. what about Smokey's Choice? has nothing to do with the blocks but alot to do with your fan club.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, you are kicking butt on your UFO's Michelle. Congratulations! I like several of the names mentioned already but I'll offer Jewelry Box because it does look like jewels to me. Even the little "chains" remind me of a necklace. It's a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so pretty, Michelle! How about "Follow the Leaders", with a play on the "Leaders and Enders" and the fact that you didn't follow the directions of the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Since this is your first quilt using leaders and enders why not: Leader of the Pack! Beautiful quilt michelle. u are my quilting idol--I humbly bow. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love Deb's suggestion, and of course I love your quilt too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That quilt is awesome...how about crazy candy box....and a solid binding would be great on it...nice. i love it. looks like a lot of work.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love your quilt. What a great use of scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  20. How about "Bonnie's Jewels" or "Bonnie's Jewel Box" since Bonnie's Leaders and Enders is what was used to make the quilt? I'm sure Bonnie would be thrilled to know someone had named a quilt after her, and you'd always remember the name because of the source of your fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is beyond beautiful! SO SUPER SCRAPPY! Do you hand cut all of your scraps, or do you have an AccuQuilt?

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from my blog friends! I had to disable "Anonymous" comments though. Thanks for stopping by!!