Friday, July 22, 2011

Longarm update....

Some of you have been wondering how I've been doing with my new longarm. One thing for sure...I'm having a great time!! I thought I'd share a few pictures to show you my progress. I was tempted to wait until I had binding on the things I quilted, but I just won't have the time to do the handsewing part of the binding for another week or two and I didn't want to wait that long to show you what I've been up to!

This was my first attempt at a pantograph or edge to edge pattern. I can definitely see some bobbles and I stumbled quite bit, but I think some little boy or girl will love it just the same.

Here's a close up...the pattern is Stars and Loops.

The second quilt I finished is this wallhanging called "Stitchin' Time" by Patchalot Patterns. You might remember this post where I mentioned I bought the kit from Millstone Quilts when my friend and Irene and I went on a road trip. I actually made it to give to Irene as a going away present. She's been my quilting buddy for the last year...but the Air Force called and they are on their way to their next adventure. :(
I quilted this one with a freehand meander. Oh and the best part? The kit was so generous, I have enough fabric to make a second quilt!! I'll just have to add some additional fabric for the background of the pinwheel blocks. I plan to make one for myself to commemorate the "Stitchin' Time" Irene and I had together. :)
For my next project, I decided to hang with the big boys and just go for it! It was time for a "real" quilt. This is a quilt top I finished sometime in the last year or so and it seemed perfect for me to try my hand at another edge to edge pattern. This one measures 65"x 82".
The quilting pattern is called Bountiful Feathers and I feel like I did a much better job on this one, if I do say so myself. :)
Here is a better picture of the quilting. I used a thread color called "Maple" and it's just so perfect for these Thimbleberries fabrics. In fact ALL THREE of these quilts were quilted with Maple!! I happened to pick it up at the shop when I was there for my class...and who would have thought it was just the perfect color? I've already used about 1/2 of it, so I think I better order another spool!

Hmmm....what to try next??? Before my machine arrived, I spent quite a bit of time assembling tops and preparing backings. But guess what I didn't think about? THREAD! I've acquired a couple of spools that I picked up here and there and a couple came with my machine, but I'm really limited with the colors. It didn't take long for me to find a good online source to order some!

Hope you all are finding a way to stay cool in this crazy heat!! Today our "feels like" temperature is 118!! I'll leave you with this picture....this is what happens to your camera when you walk outside into what feels like 100% humidity. LOL

12 comments:

  1. You are doing fantastic work!! If you need anything else to practice on. let me know :o)

    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like you are having a great time. And yes, let me know too if you need anything else to practice on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle, I can see it won't be long before you are in great demand.
    Also, it helps that you are having fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your quilting looks fantastic! Love the T'b quilt, and I also have a Stitchin' time pattern...have not made it quite yet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your quilts are just beautiful! And how wonderful that you and your friend will have matching quilts! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Girlie! You are doing an amazing job! You should be very proud of yourself! Have a wonderful weekend
    Kristie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holy Cow! You've got a lot done and it looks great! Now all you need is a little binding fairy, ahem, come to think of it I could use a binding fairy too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The quilting looks terrific!! Doesn't it feel great to be "that gal" who pieces AND quilts your quilts!? I've not made it past simple stuff on my Hobby Quilter, but I've got plans to dig in. If mine looks anywhere near as good as yours, I'll be thrilled!! And thanks for the thread color tip...I'm always looking for something just right for my Thimbleberries and repros!
    Blessings,
    Mary Lou

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG-your quilts are amazing!
    I just got a quilting machine and have done nothing more than stipple every quilt because I am afraid of ruining them. Any tips or suggestions for using thepantographs would be appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Michelle.....you are doing FABULOUS work with your long-arm. I will definitely find a day that is workable for both of us and come to watch you in action! (Where did Irene's hubby get assigned now?)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Michelle, your quilts are wonderful! I am looking forward to seeing more of you quilting soon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looking good Michelle, and WOW, who knew you could steam up a camera like that! lol

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from my blog friends! I had to disable "Anonymous" comments though. Thanks for stopping by!!