Monday, August 15, 2011

Farmer's Wife and Bowties

I finished the 5th installment of Marti Michell's Farmer's Wife blocks. I'm up to 52 blocks now! Woohoo! I think I need to get serious about finding setting and cornerstone fabric...soon! I received one suggestion of making the cornerstones with a cheddar fabric! Do I dare?? That would be way out of my comfort zone, but I think I like it!! :) What do you think about adding another color to the cornerstone/sashing? Or do I stick with the neutrals/blues?


So, I'm following Marti Michell's installments for assembling these blocks...she sends a newsletter every two weeks with conversions for using her templates. She will start the program again in September, if you want to sign up! Just send an email to cservice@frommarti.com and put "Farmer's Wife List 2" in the subject line.

After all that, I will admit, I only have two sets of her tempates (Set A & C). She also uses B, D, K, & S (I think). I do love using the templates and they make the blocks incredibly accurate, I just couldn't justify spending $80+ on them right now.

I did find this site that has the paper templates broken down by block....so instead of printing one template per sheet with the CD that comes with the book (that would be 111 pieces of paper!), you can print one page with all the templates needed for a particular block. Since templates aren't needed for some of the simpler blocks, I've only had to print 3-4 sheets so far! Pretty good, I think!


I'm also still plugging along on the Summer Bowtie Facebook Challenge. I've been using them as my leader/enders during the last couple of sewing projects. I have sixty 3" blocks so far...I'm not sure how many more I'll make. Maybe just 12 more and make it a table runner? That would make it 18"x 36".

It seems that summer is wrapping up...lots of kids have started school already, fall/halloween decorations are in the stores...where did the time go? I'm always ready for cooler temperatures, but I'm still waiting for the slower pace of summer to get here. I think I missed it.


Happy Quilting!!

4 comments:

  1. Love your blocks! Wow 52 is a lot. I don't even have double digits yet lol! I think cheddar cornerstones are a great idea. Try it and see. It could really pop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your blocks look great in the blues--cheddar would really sparkle in such a quilt. But you have to love it, so go with your gut feeling.
    I'm not doing the Farmer's Wife blocks, but I know Lori Holt has tutorials for them on her blog--bee in my bonnet--just google it. People that I know that have tried them really love them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the template link. Your blocks are looking lovely and the bowties are great! I love the two green ones... just a little kick :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blocks are lovely! I am joining in on Bonnie Hunter's Bow Tie Challenge. I just can't ignore it any longer! lol I bought cheddar fabric this past weekend. My Bow Ties are going to be in blues, indigo and perhaps some cadet blue thrown in for good measure with Cheddar backgrounds. I can't wait to get started on it! :)

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from my blog friends! I had to disable "Anonymous" comments though. Thanks for stopping by!!