Saturday, October 01, 2011

Sister's Choice Workshop

Our guild held a workshop today and we worked on Bonnie Hunter's quilt pattern called "Sister's Choice." It's a fun block with a 9 patch in the middle. Her pattern calls for using 2.5" strips/squares to make your 9 patch center that finishes 6". Well...I remembered I had this nice little stack of 9 patches in my stash. The only problem...the are made with 2" squares and the 9 patch finishes at 4.5".
No worries! I just realized if I adjusted her pattern to use 2" strips for the neutrals and the 2" squares for the star points, I was good to go! And look! This is what I made today at the workshop. Ok...so there was a lot more chatting going on at the workshop than sewing, but it's sure was a fun day. There were about 12 of us there today and it was nice to have the opportunity to get to know some of the ladies a little better.
Here is another look at my stack of 9 patches and the blocks I sewed today. The star points are the only constant...all reds, but each block has a different red. Bonnie used green for her star points.
Sooo...I just couldn't leave well enough alone. I also have this, even bigger stack, of 3" mini 9 patches! (Have I mentioned I love 9 patches?)
You know I had to see if I could adjust the pattern even more and make some mini blocks! I used 1.5" strips and squares in these little gems. The minis are by far my favorite. :)
Here is a look at the actual size block, according to Bonnie's directions, with my middle size and mini size. Fun, huh??
Oh and FYI, Bonnie is visiting our guild in April!!!! Woohooo!! This group is so excited...she is doing THREE workshops and a lecture/trunk show. I'm signed up for two of the workshops too! My goal is to have this quilt finished before her visit...think I can do it?



Happy Quilting!

12 comments:

  1. Wow... you were productive, despite the chatting and visiting! Love your 9-patch stars... so bright and cheerful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE THEM! Looks like you were very productive. Can't wait to see more of them.
    Kristie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I think you can do it! Way to go adjusting and making do. Bonnie would be proud.

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Look at all that work you've done! You will *love* Bonnie coming to your guild! We had her at one of our guild meetings earlier this year. She was marvelous! So full of energy and loads of fun! Enjoy!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your blocks and I'm not at all surprised that you were easily able to adjust her pattern to fit your already-made 9-patches! I have heard Bonnie is WONDERFUL at guild appearances.....lucky you that you'll get to work with her!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that Sister's Choice pattern with the consistent corner color. I have printed it out for the "someday pile. Your blocks look great, and I love the minis! You can get it done in time!
    Bonnie's coming to your guild? How cool is that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. No doubt you will have it sewn, quilted and bound before April!! What a great way to use up all those scraps and leftovers. I love star blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've got this quilt marked in one of my books to do someday! I just love this block and all your blocks! You will thoroughly enjoy Bonnie's lecture and classes...she is lots of fun and makes us realize quilting is so much FUN! (not that we didn't know that....but things "click" when she lectures!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a festive blog you have here, love the sister's choice block...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your blocks all look fabulous! Smaller is always cuter! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, it's only been 4 years since I decided to make a Sister's Choice quilt and had admired your samples! Better late than never. Thanks as always for your beautiful colors, samples, ideas and eye candy.

    Elaine Adair

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from my blog friends! I had to disable "Anonymous" comments though. Thanks for stopping by!!