Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Retreat #2 Recap

It probably won't be any surprise to tell you I had a blast again at retreat. If you've never had an opportunity to attend a quilting retreat, I encourage you to go one day. It really is incredible fun. Spending so much time with like minded people is just good for the soul. :)

I was HORRIBLE about taking pictures, so I really don't have a lot to show....but the truth is, I have about 5 spare minutes to write this post. I had two days between returning from Indiana on Sunday until we get back in the car and drive to Florida for Thanksgiving. We leave at 0'dark-thirty in the morning. I'm as close to completely exhausted as I've ever been and truthfully, don't have a lot of energy or brain power to put together a witty blog post. But I really did want to share just a glimpse of the retreat...and to take a minute to reflect on the amazing time I spent with my quilty friends.

This is the sewing room. It's a great space with plenty of room to spread out...
I'm happy with how much I accomplished. I assembled my sister's choice blocks and now it's just waiting for borders. I'm still deciding what style of border I want to add....
This is a new project I started and got the top all assembled! It's a pattern by Moda called "Jovial" I bought my pattern in a quilt shop, but I found out you can download it for free here. If you can enlarge the pattern, you'll see the pinwheels are dimensional! Love it! The pattern is pretty simple to assemble, but I did come across a few issues....the biggest one being that if you buy exactly the amount of fabric called for in the directions, there isn't enough to make the quilt top as pictured on the pattern. I was able to make to make it work though by removing one row from the side of the quilt. The original layout is 6x6 rows of blocks, mine is only 5x6, but I'm fine with that. There is a green border attached, but it blends almost completely in to the carpet!
(Okay, this is annoying...I don't know why these words are underlined and I'm too tired to figure it out.) I started assembling my leaders and enders in to larger blocks. This pattern is Scrappy Irish Chain from Bonnie Hunter's book. I love it!! (okay, it's also annoying that this picture is sideways!! It looks fine on my computer until I load it here and it turns sideways...sigh. I think it's because it was taken with my iphone)
I also got all caught up on my new Block of the Month called Cotton Club. I didn't get a picture of those blocks, but I'll be sure to take one next time I work on them.

Here is a shot of our group all together. I miss them already! We have another retreat in May and as tired as I am today, I can't wait to go again! Thanks for all the fun, girls! And thanks to Angela for being our wonderful hostess! You can see a couple other recaps from this retreat on Milah's blog and Christine's blog.
In case you haven't heard, Bonnie's latest mystery quilt has started! I'm itching to get sewing on it, but it's going to have to wait until I return from Florida...I'll be two steps behind, but I'm determined I'll get caught up! If you want to check it out, head over to Quiltville.com.
I want to wish all of you a very Happy Thanksgiving! May God bless you and your family!

Happy Quilting!

6 comments:

  1. What fun... you got a lot accomplished! I would love to attend a retreat but don't know of any.

    I hope you get caught up on your rest over Thanksgiving! Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Thanksgiving and safe and FUN trip to Florida!!! When you get back, we ARE setting a date for you two to come visit (for GO cutting for you), okay?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like "Impera", I don't know of any retreats, but these sure look like fun! I love all of your projects. Sister's Choice is on my bucket list, and I saw "Jovial" in a LQS and thought it was very fun. Your scrappy Irish chain is wonderful--I want to do one of those, too. I don't think you have ever posted one of your quilts that I didn't love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your quilts all look great! I love the one with the trees, and of course the scrappy Irish chain too! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you had a wonderful time and really accomplishd a lot!! I'm really loving that Sister's Choice...I may have to add that one to my list....my long list...
    Kristie

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from my blog friends! I had to disable "Anonymous" comments though. Thanks for stopping by!!