Friday, December 30, 2011

The In Between Week

It's almost the last day of 2011!  I've been reading in blog-land about how people are feeling about this "in between week"...the week between Christmas and New Year.  It seems to be a relaxing time for most.  For me, there has been lots and lots of quilting going on...but that means no pictures that can be shared yet.  After the quilts are received by their owners, I'll be able to share a few peeks.

Until then, here is one I can show!  This one was done for my friend, Karen (no blog-yet!).  She made it for a friend of hers struggling with cancer.  I was happy to find this ribbon design for the quilting.

Each block had a saying about what cancer can't do...isn't that awesome?

She sent a few pictures after the binding was finished.  Her pictures show the color much more accurately.

A close up of one of the blocks...

Great job Karen!  Look carefully at the bottom left of the picture...she has a quilt inspector too!  Now I know she NEEDS a blog. :)

Like I said, I've been busy, busy quilting this week...these are the bobbins I wound for one particular LARGE quilt I worked on this week.  They are Size "M" bobbins for my Gammill, which are considerably bigger than what are used in domestic machines...so they hold a lot of thread.  In case you were wondering...that wasn't enough!  I had to wind a 5th one!  

Oh and lookie here...I even whipped up a few blocks today from Step 7 of Bonnie's Mystery.  Woohoo!  She is publishing the final step and BIG reveal on New Year's Day!  I know what I'll be doing that day.  :)

Hope you have a safe and fun New Year's Eve!!

Happy Quilting!

6 comments:

  1. That is a very cool quilt for someone fighting cancer, and such an appropriate quilting pattern!
    For me this "in between" week has been filled with family. I was going to sew all day today, but I looked around and realized how much housework needed to be done and I haven't sat down to the machine yet. We usually have a family gathering here New Year's Eve, too, besides all of the Christmas ones, so I think I need to be prepping for that. Maybe I'll get to sew sometime. : )
    Your Orca Bay blocks look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you can convince Karen to start a blog so we can all go and visit her. It was because of your encouragement that I started my blog, Michelle - so keep working on her. That's an amazing quilt for someone with cancer. Happy New Year to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that idea! I hate cancer, I just found out one of my favorite cousin's has just been diagnosed. I had big plans for this week but didn't get much done since I've been sick. Still need to make and add the binding to the strip quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed the close up of your quilting and the blocks. What a nice gift to someone who is ill....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the sayings on that quilt...thanks for sharing. Either this upcoming week or the following, we might be making a trip to Dover, so if you need to borrow any dies, we can work that out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The quilt is awesome and the quilting design is so perfect.

    I love the mystery quilt pieces. I can't wait to see it completed.

    Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from my blog friends! I had to disable "Anonymous" comments though. Thanks for stopping by!!