Thursday, March 29, 2012

I have a love/hate relationship....

....with IRONS!  Or more correctly, with iron manufacturers!  This isn't the first time I've lamented about irons on my blog, so if you don't want to read it again, I understand!   LOL  I know there are bigger things to be concerned with in the world...and my iron woes are a minuscule problem in the scheme of things.  But, is it too much to ask to have an iron that works for more than 6-12 months?  I've tried them all...cheap ones, expensive ones, trendy ones.....they last an average of a year or so for me before they quit working.  Now, it's no surprise my iron's purpose in life is not to iron clothing.  99.9% of the time, my iron is used only for quilting projects.  :)  I'm sure it has something to do with the fact that my iron stays "on" for hours at a time while I'm working on a project.

There are just a few things I look for in an iron...1) I like a "heavy" iron.  2) I like it to be nice and HOT.  and 3)  Most importantly, I want STEAM...and LOTS of it!  That's it... 

One of the first 'splurge' irons I had was the Oliso.  It has that nifty feature of lifting up on legs when you let go of the handle.  Really cool.  It took me a while to get used to leaving it "down" rather than standing it up like every other iron in the world.  This is actually a replacement iron, as the first one didn't work properly right from the start and I was able to get a replacement while on warranty.  After about a year, it just didn't heat up enough for my liking.  I think there is an issue with the steam too, but I honestly don't remember exactly.  I can't bring myself to throw it away...


The Oliso was eventually replaced with this Rowenta, but there were other irons in between (the cheap-o's that I don't have a problem tossing).  This was not my first Rowenta...I had one before the Oliso and it started leaking at some point.  I love this iron...it's heavy with great steam.  But guess what?  It leaks.  Not just leaks, it DRAINS.  No rhyme or reason when it will drain either.  It's done this almost from the beginning.  I can use it for weeks with no issues and then one day I'll turn around and my ironing board will be soaked with water because all the water has come out.  I pick it up and it will just drip, drip, drip from the bottom.  Sigh...  Again, can't bring myself to throw it out...it's still works great as a "dry" iron.

And then....along came the Reliable Velocity iron.  This one came with great reviews from quilters.  Was this the answer to our iron problems?  This iron seems to have it all...it's big and heavy, AMAZING steam and heat.  I love it.  I followed all the rules with this iron....only distilled water, drained it at the end of each day or when I knew I wouldn't sew again that day.  We were happy together.  About 2-3 months after I purchased it, the steam stopped working.  Really?  It was under warranty, so for the (not cheap) cost of shipping it to Canada, I had steam again and I think it worked better than ever.  I was once again living happily in steam bliss for about another year and Wham-O.  No heat.  Nothing.  Probably the heating element went out.  Of course, it's no longer under warranty.  I will probably look in to sending it back to Canada for repair...this time paying both postage and repair costs.  But maybe it's worth it.  I do love this iron...when it works.  Right now we aren't on speaking terms....


 And now...the stand in.  Yes, another Rowenta,even though I don't have a great history with Rowentas.  What was I thinking?  Well, I bought it with a 30% coupon at Kohl's plus a little Kohl's cash, so it didn't cost me much.  Let's hope this guy can live up to my demands expectations.  So far, it seems to be cooperating but it does "spit" a little.

Is it just me?  Am I expecting too much?  If there is anyone out there that can develop an iron for QUILTERS, I think you would become a millionaire.    Seriously...I don't think I'm the only one that feels this way.

By the way...my mom has a 20+ year old Rowenta that works like a charm.   I think the old saying, "They don't make 'em like they used to," is definitely true.

Happy Quiting...and ironing!!

9 comments:

  1. I have taken to only using my irons dry and, instead of using the steam feature, I spray things with a spray bottle. It's not as convenient as using the steam feature on the irons, but my irons now last quite a long time. Wish I could offer some better suggestion than that. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought a kenmore on clearance at Sears about 12 years ago, it was around $20ish. I'm start to have a little problem with the steam, so I just use a spray bottle. I live my iron on all the time, it's a good thing it has automatic shut off, I also drop it - a lot! And I never drain it, I'm always getting gunk on it that I have to clean off. I'm not a very good caretaker to my iron - LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also never use the steam feature on an iron--never have. But I am beginning to regret having gotten rid of my 30-year-old cheap iron last year. It had somehow got a build-up on it that wouldn't clean up. I took desperate measures and ruined the surface. My new iron doesn't seem to have maintained its ability to stay hot. I like to hear a nice "hiss" when I put my iron on a damp surface. Doesn't happen anymore. : (

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's too bad we live in such a disposable society, where they want you to replace everything every year or two. Almost makes you want to go back to the old cast irons on the wood stove, well no not really but those were built sturdy, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous2:12 AM

    Yeap, no longer like they used to. I have trouble with irons also. At least I get them to last a couple of years!

    Mary Ann

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Michelle, I think we are living the same iron problems! I'm on my second new iron this month, and this current one will be going back to the store. The last 2 were cheapies from WalMart, because I'm still looking for a good iron to invest in, but, like you have stated, they just don't make them like they use to. UGHHHH!!!!!!!!! Maybe I should be looking for an old, used one at garage sales instead of new ones.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Michelle, you are so right....I have had this ugly lightweight black and decker since we got married 25 years ago. I have had about 5 "good" irons over the years and they are all gone and my crappy B&D is still going. I don't really like it, but it works and it doesn't leak. I will never buy another Rowenta. 3 times is it for me! There is a TFal at BJ's for 40 bucks I've been eyeing. Just don't know if I can stand the disappointment again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think they know how to make an iron that's up to the arduous tasks a quilter will put it through. I love my Reliable -- but it's a different model than yours was. Of course, I won it, so if it kaputs on me, I'm not out anything. I also have a $30 cheapy that is heavy, keeps its heat, and I use dry (like Pat said) and use spray water or starch, for a backup and when I'm traveling.

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from my blog friends! I had to disable "Anonymous" comments though. Thanks for stopping by!!