Wednesday, March 28, 2012

knock knock knock...Michelle?

I really am still here...lots going on the last couple of weeks.  My friend, Tammy (she's also my husband's cousin), came for a 10 day visit!  She is an avid quilter too, so we had a blast shopping, quilting, sightseeing, and chatting!  Of course she had to try out the longarm...she did great!  She also brought 3 other quilts for me to quilt for her.  I'll share pictures of those in another post.  This one is going to be loaded with pictures already!

Of course I had to take her to the Lancaster area shops....she took to them like a duck to water!  What quilter wouldn't!
look at all those shades of Kona!



A row of bolts at Burkholders!

Of course, I didn't need a thing, but somehow ended up with these beauties.   They are for an upcoming workshop I'm taking with Bonnie Hunter!

We also took a trip to NYC...

...and saw this show.  It was great...highly recommend it.

It was a quite foggy the days we were in NYC, but this was the creepiest.  This was getting off of the Staten Island Ferry walking back to our car, which was in the parking garage about 1/2 mile away.

On the last day of Tammy's visit, we met Peggy and Robin in Burlington, NJ, for one more quilt shop visit.  :)  We all bought fabric for purses and Tammy and I went home and started ours.  Well, we didn't start them until about 9pm that night and almost pulled an all nighter to get them done.  I had a bit of work to do on mine the next morning and Tammy took her's home still needing a few steps.  I love mine!  The pattern is Mini Miranda by Lazy Girl Designs.

I made a little bit of progress on the Florida Gator orange and blue quilt...

This is a dark picture, but this is the layout.  I'm still not 100% convinced this quilt isn't going to be so obnoxious no one will be able to look at it....but I'm just going for it!

Yesterday our guild had a "Sit & Sew" day.  One of the gals presented a Mystery in a Day quilt....well, almost a day.  If we had another hour or two, I think we could have completed them.  :)

The pattern called for 11 FQs.  I had a pack of batik FQs that were gifted to me a few years back.  Now, some of you know that I do not do batiks.  I can appreciate and admire the beautiful quilts made from them, but they just aren't my cup of tea.  But I thought....I might as well use this FQ pack up and also save me from needing to go buy 11 FQs.
Here are my FQs, all cut and ready for sewing.  You can see from the scraps on the left, it really did use up almost ALL the fabric....

One of the gals did purple/green...very pretty!

someone was working with orientals...

Another batik colorway!

 I got all my blocks assembled at the Sit & Sew and last night after dinner, I assembled them in to the top.  You can see Quilt Inspector #1 has no qualms about batiks....she promptly assumed her duties as soon as I laid the rows on the floor.

I waited until this morning to get a picture with better lighting...but the wind was blowing, everytime I turned to take a picture the corner was blown over again!  Grrrr....  Not a great picture...but you get the idea!  All in all, I'm happy with it.  It's definitely different for me, but it's good to step outside of your box once in a while.  It just needs a border and it will make a great gift for someone.  :)

Now, "orange" you glad you stopped by?  Did you see all the ORANGE projects I am working on?  Crazy!  


Happy Quilting!

7 comments:

  1. I love orange, so I loved it all! I think your orange and blue quilt is beautiful, and I love the batik mystery fabrics! Once upon a time I just didn't see what all the fuss was about on batiks. I went on a shop hop with my husband's Aunt and cousin one year when all his Aunt bought was batiks. I humored her, but didn't see the appeal. I'm not sure when or how it happened, but now I love them. They don't really fit the earth-toned, craftsman style decor of my home, but I love them! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a great time was had these past days . Great to fabric shop, NYC ( even in spooky fog)& do some sewing.
    Funny...I was wondering what the red polka dot was doing in your orange & blue Fla Gator quilt & then I realized it was probably your ironing board cover :) Love your purse~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a great time was had these past days . Great to fabric shop, NYC ( even in spooky fog)& do some sewing.
    Funny...I was wondering what the red polka dot was doing in your orange & blue Fla Gator quilt & then I realized it was probably your ironing board cover :) Love your purse~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, busy! Gene will love your colorful quilt, I do too! NYC photo reminded me of "An American Werewolf in London"...lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to see your catch-up post and what a good time you had with Tammy visiting you. The fog was pretty amazing for days, wasn't it? I will have Jessi for part of Easter week, but after that, I need to find a time to get up to Dover and try something small on your long-arm and for us to go to lunch or something. We also still want to treat you guys to Nicola's for Travis' promotion (and hope to do that before the total summer crowds descend upon Rehoboth)!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the orange quilt! Excellent quilting inspector, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, you are such a busy gal, Michelle. How nice for you to get quilt company and 'another' shopping buddy. :) Even though batiks aren't your thing (or mine), it's still a pretty quilt top.

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from my blog friends! I had to disable "Anonymous" comments though. Thanks for stopping by!!