Saturday, April 21, 2012

A finish and some exciting news!

Two months ago, our guild did an "ugly FQ" swap.  We brought in what we considered an ugly FQ in a small brown paper bag....and then picked someone else's paper bag to take home.  I wish I would have taken a picture of the FQ I took...it was grey and had George Washington's portrait all over it.  LOL

We had two months to complete a project using that "ugly" fabric....I'm down to the wire, but I got my project finished.  Can you pick the "ugly" fabric here? (click the pics for a bigger view)
It's the light brown fabric with the swirl design!  Did you guess it?  It's not my favorite...but doesn't look half bad here, does it?

 I used it for the lining and one of the yo-yo's too.

The pattern is by Terry Atkinson called "Zippy Strippy."  I changed it up a little by adding that off white accent strip down the center.  I love this pattern and can see endless design possibilities using the basic construction technique.  Now I have a nice little gift for someone!

I almost forgot to share that I recently won a blog giveaway!  Barb at Bejeweled Quilts was giving away this Aurifil thread, which happens to be my all time favorite thread for piecing.  yay!  I was so excited to win!  Thanks Barb!

My other exciting news...and I can barely contain myself...I am going to meet Bonnie Hunter tomorrow!!  She is coming to our guild for three days of workshops and I signed up for two of them.  She is also doing her trunk show at our guild meeting Monday night.  I hope to take lots of pictures to share with you!

Happy Quilting! 

10 comments:

  1. I guessed the "ugly" fabric :) It really doesn't look bad in your cute zippy bag.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guessed the "ugly" fabric :) It really doesn't look bad in your cute zippy bag.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, it was the only fabric in that bag that I felt anyone might consider ugly, but it wasn't all that bad. It made a very cute little bag--I love it!
    Wow--great win on the thread, and lucky you to attend Bonnie workshops! Even though her brother lives here in my town, I don't think she ever comes here. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, oh, I couldn't pick out the ugly fabric. Guess you made such a lovely bag out of it I couldn't tell. Nice win of thread. I hope you can sleep tonight and have a fabulous time with Bonnie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Miz Bonnie always says: The uglier the fabric, the smaller you cut it!

    :)

    Love the zipper bag... it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did guess it, but they all complement each other, so it wasn't easy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE the little bag and I love that pattern. (We made MANY of those zippered bags at our Lancaster retreat last fall.) Enjoy the Bonnie Hunter activities. I'm sure it will be terrific...can't wait to hear all about it!!! NICE win on the thread, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You will love her lecture! You will never look at fabric the same again too! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would have never guessed that as the ugly fabric. Nice job!

    Enjoy the lecture.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your bag turned out wonderfully....and how exciting to do workshops with Bonnie Hunter...have fun.

    The thread was a giveaway from my blog but Marjorie was the one who sent it...she is amazing.

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from my blog friends! I had to disable "Anonymous" comments though. Thanks for stopping by!!