Saturday, July 07, 2012

Challenges....

I recently had someone ask me if I could repair a quilt for her.  It's from her childhood and she wanted her daughter to be able to enjoy it as well.  She brought it over and this is what I saw (click images for closer view)....  

Actually it looked a little worse, because the quilt top was attached to a torn up backing....and the backing looked to be an old prequilted bedspread.  The top was sewn "pillowcase" style to the backing with no additional quilting...so I just cut around the edges to remove it.

Apparently a dog had gotten a hold of it....

 But the entire thing was threadbare with seams popping everywhere.  It had numerous piecing issues and didn't lay flat, due to some puckering in the seams.

Many, many times I cried questioned why I ever agreed to this project. I started out by replacing each and every torn square.  But that wasn't always working because all the squares are all different sizes and rows/seams don't match up perfectly.

I struggled A LOT with this thing...even thinking I needed to just give it back to her and tell her it couldn't be fixed.  But I'm just stubborn enough not to want to deal with the humiliation of telling someone I can't do it. :P  I stuck with it, finally taking my rotary cutter to it and cutting out the really bad parts and sewing the pieces I could save back together.  

This is the result!

I put little "heart" patches on some of the threadbare squares...it would have taken hours and hours to remove and replace them.  I backed it with a minkee type fabric, but no batting...it's nice and drape-y and cuddly!

 I had a few leftover pieces...I sewed them together and made a pillow...

It's backed with blue minkee for her nephew...

She picked it up yesterday and seemed really happy with the result.  I'm very happy with the result, happy to be able to help pass on a cherished memory to another generation, and even happier to be done with it!  It's not a project I'll soon forget!


Happy Quilting!

13 comments:

  1. What a job! It looks great now and I am sure she will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are brave and it turned out nicely! I had a lady send me three of these, took me forever to fix and quilt them. I told myself, "never again" I was just sick over it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I'm suitably impressed with your efforts *and* results! I had someone ask me about repairing a similarly damaged quilt and I'm novice enough that I knew better than to try and undertake it. I'll send them your e-mail address instead! LOL!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a very generous and kind person to do something like this... what an undertaking! And what fantastic results! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know what, I recognized most of the fabrics- 70's I believe. Tells you how long I've been sewing/quilting.

    Mary Ann
    zenthea@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks like you did a great job on it! I once took apart an old worn quilt to fix. That's as far as I got with it. One of these days I need to dig it out and try to put it back together. Maybe I should just send it to you! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great save! I don't know if I would have had the patience to pursue this repair. You did an excellent job and even came up with an extra keepsake.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a challenge, Michelle! I admire your tenacity--you did a great job. Now I know where to bring my problem repairs! : )

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, You did a great job! 10 out of 10 for perservering!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an undertaking & you did such a great job~

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an undertaking & you did such a great job~

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome save Michelle! I did a "patch" job like this awhile back and i had to cut out the messed up parts and sew it back together...it turned out like a hot mess of a crazy quilt, but the lady was happy to at least have a something left of her keepsake! A lot of times we stress about the details because we know what it's supposed to look like :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. All I can say is WOW!!!!! You did an amazing job.

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from my blog friends! I had to disable "Anonymous" comments though. Thanks for stopping by!!