Thursday, July 12, 2012

A new project to share...

I've been doing a lot of quilts on the longarm this week...it feels good to be so productive!  I also started a new project just for me!  I'm sure like most crafters/quilters, I like to have some handwork while watching TV and also something that I can grab and go when I know I'll have some idle time...gotta keep those hands busy!  Unfortunately, I've been a bit of a slacker and haven't had anything ready to go for a couple months now!  eeekk!

Peggy gifted me with this adorable tablerunner pattern recently and I love, love, love it!  It's from Bird Brain Designs, by the way...and it's called "Snow Happens."

I finally got the fabric pressed and traced.  I must admit a little snafu that occurred...I like to back my embroideries with a lightweight interfacing.  I usually like to trace the pattern onto the fabric BEFORE ironing the interfacing on to the back of the fabric, but I added it before tracing this time.  No problem, my lightbox will shine through both layers.  So I start tracing and get halfway through the pattern when I realize I'm tracing on the INTERFACING side!  Ugh!!!  Nothing to do but start over!  Phooey!  Oh well...it's all traced correctly now and I even got a few stitches in (click picture for a closer look!).....

Another project I'd like to get done this week is my block for the Quilt Square Quilt Along.  For July, Jo gave us the option to do either of the two star blocks in the pattern...decisions, decisions...

Another interesting longarm job I recently completed.  A neighbor had a duvet cover that she loved for the fabric and color, but didn't like the "duvet" look...too messy and unkempt looking.  So we took the duvet apart, squared it up (it was really wonky!) and I loaded it on to the longarm and I quilted a nice all over meandering.  The fabric is almost like burlap, so I wondered how my machine would do...but it worked like a champ and quilted up beautifully.  She had purchased some matching fabric to eventually use for valances or something, and it ended up working perfectly for the binding.  She is very happy with the results!

Hope you all are enjoying a great week and staying cool!

Happy Quilting!

5 comments:

  1. You are so talented! Your stitches on "Snow Happens" are perfect, and your neighbors spread looks great. I'm like her, I don't like the chunkyness of a duvet, this looks much better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute tablerunner! And it might be nice to work on a "cool" project like that while our temps outside have been 100 or higher all week.
    Nice job on the former duvet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do love Bird Brain Designs -- this "Snow Wonder" pattern is no exception! Happy Friday, happy weekend!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've just started the snowmen stitchery, too. Glad you caught the oops before it was totally traced. I traced a pattern once using the Frixion pen and THEN ironed the fusible to the back. When I turned it over, no pattern. It did come back after some time in my freezer, though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh, I love those little snowmen! Soooooo cute! I'll have to go check their website out.
    Kristie

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from my blog friends! I had to disable "Anonymous" comments though. Thanks for stopping by!!