Monday, September 03, 2012

Pineapple Quilt

The pineapple quilt is -almost- finished!  I added the borders and it's all quilted!  The binding is sewn to the front now too, though these pictures don't show that.

I sewed and sewed 1.5" strips and added a 5" border.  I was a little stumped for the corners, but finally this idea hit me.  I had to alter the pineapples a little to fit, but I'm happy with the results!



I quilted it with a simple design call "Curlz."  I figured the swirls and curls would soften the graphic-ness of the pineapple edges.  It's quilted with a bright gold thread called "barley," but it really just blends into the scrappy fabrics.  I auditioned many thread colors and I think almost anything would just blend away.  I love this gold thread though...




I also found two 2-yard pieces of fabric in my stash for the backing.  I love making pieced backings and using up fabric from my stash.  I remember buying both of these fabrics used on the back from the clearance rack at a local quilt shop.  Instead of just sewing the two pieces together, I cut one in half lengthwise for a little added interest.


I'd say 95% of the fabric for this quilt came right out of my stash!  I am always adding "interesting" neutrals to my stash, so that's where the other 5% comes from.  I love to look in clearance bins for unusual FQs to cut up for my scrap quilts.  :)

This entire quilt top is made using 1.5" strips...why does it look as though my 1.5" strip bin is fuller than ever?  LOL


A couple weeks ago, I worked a little ahead and got my two Scrappy Stars sewn up for Terry's Sew Along.    Now I have four of them....Love these stars!  They feel hugemongous after sewing those tiny pieces from the Quilt Square Quilt Along blocks.  :P


 Hope you all are enjoying a wonderful Labor Day holiday.  I am still in shock that it is already September...but I'm ready.  Bring on the Fall!!

Happy Quilting!

17 comments:

  1. Your pineapple quilt is amazing! And your star blocks look great too! I don't seem to be making a dent in my scraps either! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle, this is your lucky day. I have an answer for you about the scrap box. They have fluffed!! I have made so many quilts from my 1-1/2" box, so I have experience ;)

    I'm making a Tree of Life quilt now from that box, and for the first time ever, I have had to cut 1-1/2" strips to replenish the box. What in the world?

    Love the pineapple quilt. I'm about to start machine quilting a newly finished top. Check it out! "Feels Like Fall"

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pineapple quilt is beautiful! I really like how you finished the corners!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your pineapple quilt is just fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another beauty, Michelle! Congrats on the almost finish.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Pineapple quilt is so neat!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Michelle, the pineapples are lovely. YOu are really inspiring me to go back and take a look at this again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW! Your pineapple quilt is amazing! Great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love, love, love your pineapple quilt, Michelle!! Makes my heart sing.
    Oh, not those scrappy stars again! I am seeing them everywhere--loving them, and Trying To Resist them!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so impressed with your quilting skills! That is a great way to use scraps too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, Michelle, this is a stunner -- it's really quite beautiful. I bet you love looking at it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your pineapple quilt is STUNNING :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous pineapple quilt, Michelle! It always amazes me how so many different fabrics can play together so well. Your quilt square and scrappy stars are wonderful, too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just gorgeous Michelle.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this quilt and your star blocks. I'm looking for ideas to use my scraps up in and I came across your quilt on google images. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can't tell you how many times I do a Google search for a specific quilt that appeals to me, and VOILA - there is one of YOURS! 8-))) I've made several scrappy Pineapples but now want one similar to YOURs, all country and friendly-like. Good Job! ElaineAdairPieces.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from my blog friends! I had to disable "Anonymous" comments though. Thanks for stopping by!!