Click Here For Free Blog Templates!!!
Blogaholic Designs
Friday, November 02, 2012

Retreat Recap

 Thought I'd share a few pictures from retreat.  It seems I never take as many pictures as I plan too and this trip was no exception.  :(  I know the weather was one reason why I didn't take pictures of our outings and shopping trips...it was rainy, windy, and drizzly most of the week and we'd just jump out of the car and in to the store or restaurant!

We survived Hurricane Sandy...in fact, I think we lucked out because we did not get hit as bad as was predicted.  We had lots of rain and wind, but nothing like we were anticipating...and thank goodness we never lost power.  What's a quilting retreat without electricity to run our sewing machines?!!

We stayed in this awesome vacation home.  You can see it on the website by clicking HERE.  It's a beautiful home and it was literally just a block or so from the downtown area of Intercourse, PA.  There were Amish homes to the side of us and across the street.

Of course, we were visiting a little late in the season, but it was still beautiful...we never did get to have a fire outside as the weather just would not cooperate!

Lots of buggies traveled up and down the road....especially late at night when the courting couples were out.  I would hear the clip clop of the horses as I was going to sleep.

The dining room table was perfect to set up our sewing machines...three of the ladies were unable to make it due to the storm, so we had plenty of space to spread out.


You can see Pat was hard at work!  She finished two wall hanging size quilt tops and bound a set of placemats with a matching tablerunner!

Kathy brought handwork...isn't that hexagon quilt beautiful?  She finished the hand quilting on that while at retreat and also knitted a couple of scarves.

I finished a quilt top...but it's a gift, so I'm not going to share a picture just yet.  I sewed up a sewing tote like this one (click here) for a gift, but I didn't get a picture of it.  I also made some good progress on my Scrappy Irish Chain.  This started out as a leader/ender project, but it's to the point now that I'm just assembling larger units, so it's been upgraded from a leader/ender to a full-fledged project. :)  I have all 66 of Block B done, and 32 of Block A done (I need 66 of those too).  The remaining A Blocks are very close to completion, so I hope to have a finished quilt top very soon!

We definitely enjoyed delicious food at local Amish and Mennonite restaurants and I did a good bit of fabric shopping.  There are about 6 (maybe more!) amazing quilt shops within just a few miles of where we were staying...and their prices are even more amazing.  As luck would have it, this week Bonnie Hunter released the fabric requirements for her next mystery...I love the colors she is using, but they are colors I don't normally work with, so I don't have a lot of them in my stash....it was very convenient to have all those shops close by!  I can confidently say that I am ready for the mystery after my shopping excursions!  LOL

I so enjoyed this retreat and the time flew by way too fast!  I love the Lancaster area and especially the towns along Hwy 340...Intercourse, Bird in Hand, Ronks.  If you ever get a chance to visit, you must go!


Happy Quilting!

10 comments:

  1. Renting a vacation home for the retreat is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like such a nice time. I would love to visit that area someday. I can dream, can't I?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a wonderful week, for sure. The only thing that was missing was a little bit of sunshine and weather that was nice enough one of the evenings so we could use the firepit. Of course, if the weather had been nicer, we might have spent more time outdoors and less time sewing! I was the lucky one to get that sewing tote and I will take a picture of it today and send it to you so you have it. I really love it and am so glad I was the one to get it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Michelle! Was there only the kitchen table for sewing space? I'm trying to plan a sewing retreat in that area for next April - this looks fabulous but 8 machines at that one table probably won't fit :-/ Would love to hear more about your thoughts on the house, etc.!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seeing your scrappy Irish chain takes me back to when I made mine! I still can't believe I actually did it! LOL Yours looks great, btw! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looked like fun! I traveled over from Pat's blog... Personally, I think y'all made it the best out of the storm... you got to get together to quilt and in a nice home!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a great retreat in spite of the weather.Love the Scrappy Irish Chain. Thanks for going the "extra mile" & checking for the fabric for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Michelle, I'm in your area of Dover, DE I was wondering if you've ever visited/shopped at the Amish Dry Goods store here? I have never heard you mention it and wonder if you know about it? It's on Victory Chapel Rd. Just sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Michelle, it looks like y'all had a fabulous time!! Between your post and Pat's, I *almost* feel like I was there ... almost! It makes me so happy to hear about happy quilting retreats! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a cool place to retreat!! Gonna have to show this to my quiltin' sistas!!!

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from my blog friends! I had to disable "Anonymous" comments though. Thanks for stopping by!!