Saturday, December 29, 2012

Half Square Triangles

I recently finished my "leader and ender" project (check it out here) and I didn't have a plan for the next one.  There are a few patterns in Bonnie's books I'd love to try, but I was kinda feeling the need to spread my wings a little and try something different.  Don't get me wrong...I love Bonnie, but do you know how many Bonnie quilts I've made this year?  LOL  Lots of them.  :)

I guess this project is still technically a "Bonnie inspired" quilt, because she is the inspiration behind the leader and ender concept for me.  :)  

One of the sizes of scraps I cut are 3.5" strips.  Here is my bin....I think it's overflowing just a bit, don't you?  I either need to get a larger bin or start using them up!

This size (3.5") is the perfect triangle size, in my opinion.  You can pair it with 2" square "twosies" and 4 patches, which means endless design possibilities.  

I decided to start cutting for half square triangles with my handy Easy Angle Ruler.  I put a light and a dark fabric, right sides together....

Line it up and cut the triangles, leaving the two fabrics together as a pair....

I realized I "flip" my ruler for the second cut differently than Bonnie does, but I get the same result and this is comfortable for me...I tried it her way and I get really mixed up.  :)  It takes about 4.5" of fabric to cut two triangle pairs.  I always try to cut at least two pairs, so I don't end up with an angle on the end of my fabric...but I don't cut more than 4 of the same combination of fabrics.  Does that make sense?

Of course, if there isn't enough left to cut two triangles, I cut the remainder in to usable squares and throw them in to the appropriate leader/ender box!

 Here are all my triangles ready to be taken to my machine, where I'll sew them up as I work on other projects.  I have space under my extension table where I slide them out of the way (they are on a ruler).  Doesn't look like I made much of a dent in my bin of strips, does it?  Sigh....

A little while later...and they are all sewn up!  Now that I have a nice little stack, I decided to play with some layout ideas.  Pinterest or Google Images has tons of great inspiration!  This is just a straight layout....

 I love the movement in this layout...you just keep adding around that first center diamond.  I'm really liking this idea....

This one is called "Depression Block" from Quilter's Cache....but I think I have the color layout flipped.  This makes an awesome secondary design.

Simple diamonds...

More diamonds....

Stars!  Oh, my stars...I love star blocks...this one will be hard to resist....

Two stars...love it!  I see I have a triangle going the wrong way in one of the stars...

And a zig zag...oh, decisions, decisions!  All these options...and this doesn't even consider adding in a 4 patch or some other unit!

I sewed up all those triangles in the picture above...time to cut some more.  I haven't decided on a final layout...by the time I get enough triangles sewn, some other layout might catch my eye.  Which one is your favorite? 

13 comments:

  1. I love the stars, for sure! What fun you have had with these, Michelle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michelle, I've been a follower of your blog for a little while. Your lovely blog is how I found my way to join in with Terry's Scrappy Stars. I love your triangle blocks, you've shown so many ways to make a simple block look stunning. Have fun making the final decision..... Nicky in NZ

    ReplyDelete
  3. I vote for Zig-Zags but any choice looks cool. Zig-Zags are not used as often so they're different.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the Zig Zag is my favorite and then the second one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so very inspiring! If it wasn't near my bedtime, I'd go to my sewing room right now & make a few HST's ~

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love all the scraps!!!! It is amazing what we can do with them... and anymore, making something really 'matchy' is difficult for me LOL

    Oh, and I love the new blog look!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the stars and chevrons! I'm saving my 3.5" strips for a queen sized twisted 9 patch but I will definitely have to add this to my list of future leader/enders!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is exactly why I love HSTs! You can do so many different things with them! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am into zig-zags so I vote for that. Love all your triangles!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun-filled post of eye-candy! Wheee! It makes me want to just jump in and make a bunch of those HST's with you. I love the stars too but the zigzags show off great graphics for the camera.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think they all look great, but I love the 2nd layout. I've made a couple of baby/child quilts like this, and added a hst here and there with a "picture", like an I Spy quilt, kids love them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh FUN!! :) I think I like the second one best, too! But they're all so pretty!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Michelle - when you sew these HSTs, do you have to square them up after you press? I'm just wondering, cuz I DO and I wonder if I'm the only one. Love all the possible layouts of these scrappy units you've shared!

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from my blog friends! I had to disable "Anonymous" comments though. Thanks for stopping by!!