Wednesday, January 23, 2013

A little progress...

I've been busy with quilting on the longarm, but today I decided to sew the borders to my Scrappy Mountain Majesties top.  I assembled the top at retreat last November...the fabrics for the blocks were swapped with all the retreaters and we worked on the blocks while there too.

I honestly don't remember when I bought this border fabric!  Isn't that horrible...I've had in my head that I need to find border fabric, but today I walked in to my sewing closet and there it was!  Just sitting on top of a bin.  I -think- I bought it in early December when I went to the LQS, because that -was- the last time I was in the LQS, so that has to be it, right?  Oh my...I need some memory medicine or something!  Early in January, I went to Lancaster, but I know I only bought backing fabric, so I'm sure it wasn't then.  Oh well...it's there and needed to be cut and sewn to this top...and here is the result!  I really love it...I think it finishes off the quilt top just perfectly, if I do say so myself.  :)  I tried to take a picture outside, but between the 20 degree temperature and the never-ending wind, I brought it back inside!

If you know me, you know I rarely use batiks...but a batik is perfect for this top.  It's a little more green in person.  I'll bind it in that same purple as the inner border.  Now to decide on quilting design and thread color!

I'm not sure who this quilt will be given too...but I think it would be perfect for a pre-teen or teenage girl!  Once it's quilted, I can mark it off as another finish for 2013!  Yay!


6 comments:

  1. Very nice border, Michelle. Seven years ago I bought my first batik, though I wasn't too impressed with them--but it grew on me. Now I love them. This one you selected is the perfect compliment to the colorful quilt. What girl wouldn't love it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your quilt and the colors are awesome!!!! You picked a great border fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A batik? Oh my.....be stil my heart :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's beautiful! That border fabric is perfect for it! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this! And, the border is just perfect.

    I look forward to the time in my life when I can do retreats. Actually, I might do my first one this Sept, only for a weekend though.

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from my blog friends! I had to disable "Anonymous" comments though. Thanks for stopping by!!