Monday, January 21, 2013

Scrappy Trip Around the World

This has been a quilt on my "to-do" wish list for quite a long time, so after seeing so many of them popping up around blogland and a few of my friends doing them, I caved and started one of my own.  It's another pattern by Bonnie Hunter...you can find it HERE.  

I'm keeping my "scrappiness" to reds and blues with the white in the middle.  I'll use the quilt as a gift for a military friend or donate it to Quilts of Valor.  I had LOTS of precut 2.5" x WOF strips in my bin, so I just pulled everything and went to work!

Since I'm using width of fabric strips, I cut them in half for each block instead of cutting them to 16" like the pattern calls for.  After cutting the units needed for the block, I ended up with a good amount of sewed strips leftover...

So...I decided to cut the remainder to 4.5"....

 And now I have some ready made border strips for the quilt top! 

This is a quick and easy quilt that is lots of fun!  Have you made one before?

10 comments:

  1. Great job! You just gave me a great idea for a scrappy piano key border too lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your controlled color pattern makes for great fun because it creates a medallion, nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice! And how handy to have ready made borders! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful idea to make the border at the same time. Great color choices!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it!! I've made one more 'organized' scrappy... and really like the way they look. have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very great looking in R/W/B. And I love your idea for a ready made border. Wish I hadn't already cut all my strips down to 16" before I started sewing them together. : (

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your color combinations! I started one of these some time ago with kid fabrics. Wonder where that UFO landed?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like your blocks! I'm having my center stripe royal blue and the rest are orange, yellow, turquoise, and neutrals.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very pretty! I like your term "controlled scrappiness". I think of scrappy as uncontrolled, like pick a fabric blindly and just use it. Those I've done, but they are not as pretty. Think I need a little control! You will agree when you see my Easy Street. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from my blog friends! I had to disable "Anonymous" comments though. Thanks for stopping by!!