Friday, April 05, 2013

Bonus Triangles

I'm sure you remember I took a workshop last year with Bonnie Hunter and learned about bonus triangles and I love 'em!  (You can see a mini tutorial here)  With my recent project, Liberty Star, which was filled with flying geese and perfect for making bonus triangles, I ended up with 160 2" unfinished red/neutral half square triangles!  

After playing with them a little and trying a few different layouts, I decided to make this friendship star quilt.  All I had to add was the 2" center square and sashing, of course.  To be honest, I added the sashing to avoid having to match all those seams!!  LOL  I think it adds a nice touch though... 
(you can click the pictures for a closer view!)

The HST finish at 1.5" and the block finishes at 4.5"...isn't it just adorable??  I love star blocks and this ranks right up with my favorites.

I just love it!

I even like the back...look at all those seams!  It's wonderful that on the flip side of all this chaos such loveliness!  :)  Kind of like my life sometimes...

There is one small "boo-boo" though...can you see it in the pictures above?  I decided to keep it in, because as the saying goes, "Only God makes perfect things."  

I thought we'd have a little fun.  For all of you that find the boo-boo, post a comment.  I'll draw a random name from the correct comments and the winner will receive these fabrics!
They are all Thimbleberries and mostly FQ's, give or take.  Good luck!  (I'll close the comments and draw a name Saturday night)  WE HAVE A WINNER! -- THANKS FOR PLAYING!

17 comments:

  1. Wonderful, I too love & use these bonus triangles. XXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing quilt, Michelle even if there is a boo-boo. Is it the rectangle with the stars facing the back?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Found it :d and this quilt is just lovely---I want one just like it, please :p

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun quilt--I love the framing the sashing gives. Yes, I see the one star twirling opposite from the others. That is what gives a quilt its charm. : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can see it! But only because you told us something was wrong....it's third row down, second from left. I also save bonus triangles and have made little mats out of some of mine. Love them. Linda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Second row from the left, third one down, the triangles are wrongly oriented. Never would have noticed if you hadn't pointed it out, which I suspect is a lot like the imperfections in our own lives.

    Beautiful, beautiful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Third row down...second star from the left is going a different way. I love it. I would of left it that way too. Good conversation piece....good job.

    ReplyDelete
  8. On the third row, the star 2nd from the left is rotated different than all the rest. Good job! I really had to hunt for it! It's a great "humility block" .
    Hope you have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love stars...and anything red! Congrats on getting the "freebie" quilt from those bonus hst. I see your little boo-boo...one star spinning the wrong direction.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's beautiful, and a great use of leftovers! I like imperfections in a quilt. I see yours is in the third row down, second block over from the left. That star just points a different way than all the rest! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. what a neat friendship star quilt from bonus triangles. I'm starting to save them when I can( when I think of it)

    ReplyDelete
  12. One of the stars has a point going done on the side that should be going up and one going up on side that should be going down. It is reversed. It is still a pretty quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Third row..second blog..love using up scraps and making something out of "nothing" :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. 3rd down, 2nd left, oops! Love it though! Also, I got a kick out of you saying on the flip side of all this chaos such loveliness. My flip side would be the chaos, yours is perfect? A gorgeous quilt Michelle.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this quilt and it is going in my "plan to make sometime soon" folder! The third row down and second star might have the point going the wrong direction, but I wouldn't have changed it either! Again, love the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  16. oops, third row down, 2nd block in. I'd leave it in and congratulate everyone who finds it! Jan

    ReplyDelete
  17. Third row down, second from the left, you've got a block turned in a different direction. I love your quilt even with your tiny boo boo :o)

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from my blog friends! I had to disable "Anonymous" comments though. Thanks for stopping by!!