Monday, September 02, 2013

Happy Labor Day!

Hope you all are enjoying a long relaxing three day weekend.  The temps are dropping here and it's beginning to feel like summer is truly coming to an end.

It was a special weekend for us this Labor Day....our son, Zach was able to come home for a -very- short visit.  But I'll take whatever I can get.  He arrived late Friday night and left before daylight this morning, so we made the most of the two days we had together.  The base's "Outdoor Recreation" center has all kinds of equipment to rent, including ATV's and kayaks.  We rented both those items and spent our days on some beautiful land near Vedauwoo, Wyoming.  Lots of trails and open space to drive the ATV's.  We also took the kayaks on a lake in Curt Gowdy State Park...but I didn't get any pictures of that...I was too scared to take my phone or camera on the kayak for fear that I'd tip over and lose them.  LOL


Remember my last post I mentioned the 2009 Thimbleberries Club project that I needed to finish up?  Well, here is the finished top!  Someone reminded me that the name of this quilt was "3's Company."  I really wasn't thrilled with this project (which is why it sat untouched for so long!), but I am really pleased with the end result.  I also pieced a backing for it and made the binding...all with fabrics from my Thimbleberries "stash."  It's such a good feeling to use up random, leftover fabric, isn't it?  Once I get this quilted, I can finally checked it off the unfinished list!

Of course, I couldn't help myself and started a new project.  It's a quickie though.  :)  Over the summer, Missouri Star Quilt Company was giving this mini template away with any purchase...so of course I was weak and ordered a couple charm packs so I could get the free template.  But look how cute it is!  You can cut 4 tumblers from one charm with very little waste.

I assembled this table runner from one charm pack.  The problem is, I don't have any coordinating yardage for borders and/or binding.  The fabric is "Snowman Gatherings," I think...or something close to that.  I'll just have to take a quick trip to the local quilt shop and see if they might carry it.  I'm not sure if I'll trim up the edges of the tumblers or try a bias binding to go around those edges. 

I thought I'd share my current Leader/Ender results.  I found myself without a leader/ender project and I just don't like not having -something- going, so I just started to make these mini 9-patches with my 1.5" squares.  This is my all time favorite block, so I'm really enjoying putting these cuties together!  I'm not sure what they'll be used for just yet...there are soooo many ideas out there for 9-patches.  I figure I have plenty of time to decide since I'll likely need a few hundred more for any project I choose.  I'm finally taking Bonnie's advice and pinning them in groups of 10...I have 52 so far!  And you can see my 1.5" bin is still overflowing!  As usual, I'm running low on "lights," so I'm going to have to spend some time in my scrap bin!


4 comments:

  1. Your flimsy finish is very nice. I love the warmth of things made from Thimbleberries.
    Cute little runner. I like those little tumblers--so fun! I made a table topper from that line of fabrics, and have a quilt in the works from it, too.
    So many possibilities with those 9-patches!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The quilt top is marvelous! Not the typical Thimbleberries pattern, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your little tumblers are so cute! I need to get one of those templates! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you had a nice couple of days with Zach. The T'berries quilt top looks great. As for the edges of the tumbler, it would be terrific with the binding following the contour of the tumblers, but even with using binding cut on the bias, I think I would find it a royal pain to attempt that!!! Of course, you would do it very nicely, I'm sure! :)

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from my blog friends! I had to disable "Anonymous" comments though. Thanks for stopping by!!