Thursday, November 07, 2013

Mini Iron Update

So last week...I mentioned I replaced my trusty red, mini iron with this cute little blue one....

Well, unfortunately, it's a dud.  I was surprised because the reviews on Amazon were favorable.  The thing I just could not deal with was this: 

 Can you see how the edges are crinkled up?  That's from the iron!  Even if I just moved the iron a teensy bit, it would catch the fabric and squish it up...
Not only that...the iron is HOT...which means these little crinkles are set in and hard to get out!

I think this is the reason...see those grooves on the plate.  I think those were catching on the edges.  Maybe it would work okay for larger pieces or clothing.... 

This was just icing on the cake...those dark spots are where the iron leaked!  Seriously, I had this thing plugged in for about 20 minutes before I said enough is enough!

Thankfully, Amazon has a wonderful return policy and I traded in it for this little guy.... 

 So far so good!  It's a little smaller than the other two, but the steam works well and it gets nice and hot.  The one little complaint is that cord on the side makes it a little lopsided and I've already knocked it off the table once.

And look...no little groovy things on the plate to crinkle up my fabric! 

Happy Quilting!
~Michelle


6 comments:

  1. Oh well, GREAT!! I ordered when I saw yours thinking 'it must be good!". Better dig out the box and save it just in case mine acts up like yours! UGH

    ReplyDelete
  2. Irons are such a problem, aren't they? I'm still not happy with the one I bought a year or so ago, but so far I haven't found anything that I think will be better. I hope this is a "fix" for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, what you're saying is that it's not always a good thing to be groovy? Bummer, dude. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the reviews! I use a travel iron, but being small still have the side cord issue. I don't think there is a perfect smaller one out there. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I might recognize your projects by your amazing sense of color and balance - truly, you are gifted!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope the new iron works better for you than that crappy one! HA! HA!.....love the comment from your other poster who asked if this means it's not a good thing to be "groovy"!!!

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from my blog friends! I had to disable "Anonymous" comments though. Thanks for stopping by!!