Saturday, November 02, 2013

Saturday Update...Bonnie Challenge

I made some progress on my Tumalo Trail this week.  I made 10 more blocks for a total of 19!  I'm loving this quilt more all the time, especially now while looking at the picture where you can really see the secondary design.  I'm still torn about how big I should go.  This would be a 6x6 layout and I'd need 17 more blocks.  That seems like an overwhelming amount!  LOL 

Or I could to a 4x6 layout and I'd only need to make 5 more blocks.  BUT, it would make this a loooonnng quilt.  This is not a speedy quilt...it's definitely a time intensive project!  But I know it will be worth it in the end!

Either way, I need a lot more individual units.  I took me all afternoon one day to make these 42 nine patches.  I still need approx 45 more to make the 6x6 layout.  LOL  I also used up the HSTs I had ready, so I'll need to cut/sew more of those.

And in another chapter of my iron woes...see that little red cutie on the right?  I've had that little iron for 8+ years...my friend Peggy gifted it to me for Christmas one year.  It is the best little iron!  I used it mainly for retreats and workshops and occasionally used it at home at a small ironing station next to my machine.  I love how hot it gets and it had great steam.  Well, this week the steam feature went kaput.  
:(  
I love steam...I need steam!  So, after looking on Amazon for a replacement, I chose this Sunbeam.  It had really good reviews and was only $13, so I'll give it a try.  I have yet to have a chance to use it, but I'll let you know how it goes!

We've had a crazy couple of weeks here, which for just two people, has included waaay too many visits to dentists, doctors, hospitals, ERs, etc.  But I'm thankful that it's nothing catastrophic and that we are healthy and well!

I can't believe it's November already...I get a little panic attack when I think about how quickly Christmas will be here.  I just need to focus and make "to-do" lists and things will come together!

Happy Quilting!
~Michelle

16 comments:

  1. Your blocks look great! Don't think about how many more you need...just keep making them and before you know it, you'll have enough! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your Tumalo Trail. I've been looking for a new leader/ender project and this may be it. Off to look at the pattern to see what I need.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just added this quilt to my "Want to make list" LOVE your version.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your quilt is looking great! I love Bonnie for her secondary patterns. I was having iron dramas of my own a year ago. I decided on the cheapo model from Walmart and it has been great. Meanwhile, I took a leaf from Lori Holt's (Bee in my Bonnet) page and found a vintage iron at a neighborhood sale for $2. I love it. It gets hot!!!! (To me the modern ones just don't get hot enough!) I hope this one works out for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you should make the bigger version. (Easy for ME to say, huh?) That is a great secondary pattern showing up on that quilt. Good luck with the iron and I hope all the medical/dental issues are settling down now for the two of you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is such a fun scrap quilt. Going on my bucket list, too.
    Doesn't every quilter eventually experience iron woes? Hope your new one works out for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is coming along nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bonnie's are labor intensive but I have never be disappointed with the results. Keep going you will be happy with the finished project.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very interesting turns. I will watch with interest the process.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is coming together beautifully

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your blocks look awesome together!
    Love the scrappiness!

    ReplyDelete
  12. looks amazing so far Michelle!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your quilt looks wonderful. YOU CAN DO IT!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow. It's fabulous. I gotta thank you for turning me on to Bonnie Hunter. I have a reservation to see her when she is in Plano TX over New Years. I'm so excited!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm a hopeless Bonnie dropout and in awe. Very pretty Michelle!

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from my blog friends! I had to disable "Anonymous" comments though. Thanks for stopping by!!