Friday, November 15, 2013

Tumalo Trail

It's finished!  Whew!  This was an incredibly fun quilt to make.  I find it interesting too that it wasn't one of those "I have to make this" kind of projects.  It started out when I had a bin full of mini 9patches I had been making as leaders and enders.  I started thinking to myself..."what am I going to do with all of these?"  Of course, I pull out my favorite Bonnie Hunter books and see what she has that uses mini 9patches.  I find the Tumalo Trail quilt in the Scraps and Shirttails 2 book, which I don't ever remember really taking much notice to before, but as soon as I saw it this time, I said, "That's it...that's what I'm going to make with my 9patches."  I also had a bunch of the HSTs sewn...enough for about half of the blocks, so it was a perfect choice!

I kept sewing 9patches as leaders and enders...then Jo over at Jo's Country Junction put out a challenge to finish up a "Bonnie Quilt" before the next mystery quilt starts.  Well, that's all it took, I was up for the challenge!  I only had units for about 1/2 the blocks, so I really had to step it up!

This quilt came together so nicely...I just love it!  I decided to explore and look for a fun spot for a photo shoot.  I found a little creek down by the "Fam Camp" (RV Park) on base and decided that was the perfect spot.  There is this old grove of trees next to the creek, but it was really just too grown over.  I couldn't get the quilt fully laid out because of all the twigs and branches...

The quilt is almost covered by all those branches!

I got back in the car and pulled away, only to find this little fence (you can see the back side of that grove of trees on the right of the picture).  Perfect!  One problem...it's ALWAYS windy in Wyoming...always.  This shot was pure luck....

 ....as this is what the quilt was doing most of the time.  LOL  At least you get a glimpse of the back.

Across the little dirt road, there is another railing crossing the creek...this is what the quilt did the entire time on that railing.

I tried to lay it out on the grass for a full shot, but that was near impossible because of the wind and I was afraid it would blow into the water!  So it was back to the house and under my porch where there is a little protection from the wind.  It measures 67" x 67".  I love adding the 1" piano key border, especially to scrappy quilts.

I pulled out my 1.5" strip bin and had the borders zipped up in no time!  Believe it or not...this is the bin AFTER I pulled all the strips for the border.  I think they multiply on their own...

Since the quilt was so busy already, I used a simple quilting design called "Quirky."  It's one of my all time favorites.  (you can click the picture for a larger view)  I found this backing fabric a couple years ago in Lancaster on the $3.99 table at Sauders Quilt Shop.  Perfect!

I just love looking at all the fabrics and can remember which other projects most of them came from!

I think the skinny sashing is awesome too!  Can you tell I love this quilt?!

I had a few leftover 9patches, so they made it in to the border...

 Whew...if you've made it this far, congratulations!  That was a lot of pictures!  I'm so happy this quilt is finished and I met the challenge!  I have plenty other UFO's...I just wish I was always this motivated!

I'm ready for Bonnie's New Mystery quilt...are you?

Happy Quilting!
~Michelle





19 comments:

  1. What a beautiful quilt! Congratulations on getting it finished! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun photo shoot! I loved seeing all the "poses." This is a very fun, pretty quilt. I like that you used the same fabric for the HSTs in each block. I love scrap quilts--I think they are my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should be happy with this finish! It is a wonderful scrap creation!! And I do like that quilting design. Very fun.
    Congrats on accomplishing your goal. : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. A really fun post! I had to laugh at how you had the border "zipped up in no time"! I could never! Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's beautiful! I absolutely love it. It's not always windy, sometimes it's breezy. LOL! ;-) Jo Anna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very beautiful !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Terrific job and thanks for taking us along on the photo shoot. I really like the one on the fence (when you caught a shot with no wind blowing the quilt). Gotta love those great fabric finds in Lancaster!!! I saw Kathy yesterday and we were reminiscing about our trip there with you last fall.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a cute post. I know how we try to find the best spot and light for photos. I LOVE the quilt! I am going to have to get the book too. I have made some of Bonnie's quilts, just don't have the time to make all. And, they are always a favorite of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW it's a wonderful quilt. I also find it funny how the scrap boxes seem to grow. I always think I am getting ahead but then..nope!! Thanks for sewing along with us!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's wonderful! Great photos of it, too. I love Bonnie's quilt patterns. Looking forward to the new mystery!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your photo shoot pictures. I need to get my Bonnie/Jo/Nell Challenge quilt out again to play with borders. I hate that I put off the Borders so long. That's the good thing about Bonnie's Mysteries- we make border units right along with the Block parts.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your quilt is gorgeous! Congratulations of your finish.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great quilt! And what a beautiful setting for the photos. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Absolutely beautiful Michelle. You simply amaze me with your quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That quilt is simply lovely. What a great use of your bonus 9-patches.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful finish. YES! I am getting ready for Bonnie's mystery again this year.

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  17. A gorgeous quilt!! Love the photo shoot pics! Congratulations on another finish :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Stunning. And I am NOT surprised. Now I have to make one of these!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful quilt!! And I love all the different setting shots too :) I like Bonnie quilts for the same reason--using up scrap boxes and revisiting all those great fabrics from other projects. Can't wait to see your new mystery as it progresses

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from my blog friends! I had to disable "Anonymous" comments though. Thanks for stopping by!!