Monday, December 30, 2013

Mystery Quilt Update

After getting behind a couple of clues due to being out of town, etc., I'm happy to say I'm caught up with Bonnie Hunter's mystery quilt clues.  Yay!

 I really appreciate the piecing techniques I've adopted thanks to Bonnie's teaching.  They are all just minor things that really do make a difference in the long run.  For example...the little spin in this 4-patch helps reduce bulk in the seam, which makes things a little easier to quilt through.  And, it helps two blocks fit together because the seam allowances "butt" up together nicely.

It's especially important with these pinwheels...that's a lot of bulk right there in the center when you just press to one direction...

I love the Easy Angle ruler too...and how everything fits so well together!  Look at that intersection and all the seams cross perfectly!  :)  Thanks for all the tips Bonnie!

I'm guessing we'll probably start assembling blocks soon.  I played with a few ideas, but I don't think I'm even close to knowing what we'll do with these units!  I think I'll be happy with all my color choices, whatever the layout may be....I kind of hope there will be more neutral added in, but who knows!!

If you want to check out everyone else's progress...head over to Bonnie's linky post.

Happy Quilting!
~Michelle

16 comments:

  1. I agree with you about Bonnie's techniques. Once you start spiraling, you never stop! It is such a good way to distribute that bulk. Several bloggers are photographing potential quilt ideas, they are so much fun to see!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you that we need more neutrals!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep. Neutrals. I still have a fair amount of neutrals sitting on the cutting table... just waiting to be used.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your block layout; it's fun the way you're getting an extra curved shape across the blocks. Isn't it exciting trying to guess the outcome?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your block layout too. Would love to see a curved look.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the Easy Angle ruler - thanks to Bonnie! Your guess layout is good. Neutrals & a little more green would be good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It will be a beauty no matter what she comes up with. I still need to spin those seams...I skipped it last quilt and didn't make a difference for me, but I am guessing I will be happier if I do them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your colors are deep and rich, but with plenty of contrast. I am loving what I see. Your layout idea is great. If, by some stretch of the imagination, you don't like Bonnie's design, you have something to fall back on. : )

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your quilt pieces and parts...surely we will be putting this one together soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your blocks are looking great and it is fun to see the ideas emerging! (I'm not doing it, just observing!) I love these time/bulk saving tips too - makes a difference to the finish of a quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very pretty guessing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aren't you on pins and needles waiting to see where she takes this next?? I am and I'm not even making the darn thing! Happy to live vicariously through those of you who are!! And it's looking GREAT!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice arrangement! This is such a fun process.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your colors are fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Michelle, I love your color choice. I am working on the cream/navy of clue #1 today. I finally finished the orange ones. I like the blue and orange but can't wrap my head around that green and orange in the four patches. I am going to stall on that 4 patch block after this to see if I should plug in a light brown or something. I don't know if I can do the green. lol. Your blocks are so "perfectly Peggy". :o)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your color choice! :) I can't wait to see it put together. I'm still working on a few of the steps but I am pleased with how the final design looks.
    Kristie

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from my blog friends! I had to disable "Anonymous" comments though. Thanks for stopping by!!