Sunday, January 05, 2014

Celtic Solstice Update

(Click here for Bonnie's linky page to see everyone else's progress)

In past years, Bonnie has given us a bonus clue sometime around New Year's Eve or Day...and this year she did it again!  At midnight on NYE, eastern time, which was only 10pm for me...she posted the final reveal and layout.  Wowsers...I was so happy to see the final quilt...I love it!!  Mysteries are always a gamble, but Bonnie's are usually a sure thing, so I don't know what I was worried about.  :)  

I'm so happy with the colors I chose....I wouldn't change a thing.  Except maybe the name.  Celtic Solstice doesn't seem like the right name for mine...I'll have to see if I can come up with something.  
I love the circular design that pops out after sewing the blocks together.

I sewed my border just a bit different from Bonnie's...I think this diamond effect works nicely with the colors in my quilt.  I added the square in a square block in each of the corners to finish it off a little bit.  I even got the cutting directions for a 3" square in a square block from one of Bonnie's tutorial pages!  She is just awesome!

It's a little smaller than I had expected it to be even though I knew it was going to end up 75" square...in my head I thought it would be bigger.  Silly me.  I REALLY, really, considered making a few more blocks to fit our queen size bed, but then looked at my pile of other projects to finish.  Reality set in and I decided I better stop here and call it good.  It's a good "couch" size as my daughter would say, and I agree!

This picture shows the colors pretty well, except the blue seems to be "glowing" a little more than in real life.  :)

Little Nick was getting acquainted with his new job as quilt inspector...he seemed quite eager for the job!

By the way, our daughter is home visiting from England this week.  I brought my sewing machine to the dining room...this way, she can work on papers on her computer or play games and I can sew...but we can still visit and we're not in separate rooms.  It's been lots of fun having a companion while I sew!

Thank you once again, Bonnie, for an awesome mystery quilt!  The last few weeks have been fun and something I look forward to every year!

Don't forget to see everyone else's progress on Bonnie's page when she posts the linky on Monday!

Happy Quilting!
~Michelle

27 comments:

  1. It turned out great! You know I love the colors, too. Bonnie's quilts always look really complicated, although when done in steps, they really aren't. Great job.

    ReplyDelete

  2. Oh, your quilt is awesome!!! love, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the finish! I really like the black in your top. I'm almost done sewing my blocks together. I'm not sure I like mine, though. Maybe after it is all together it will look better...or different!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Little Nick is adorable! I'm so glad your daughter is visiting and I love the colors you used for your quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on your finish. Your border is fantastic. How about "American Glory" for a name?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful, Michelle. You did a great job with color choices. You just never know, do you?

    ReplyDelete
  7. It may be smaller than you thought, but it's beautiful! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is gorgeous! Congratultions on the fabulous finish!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your border. I haven't started to sew mine together yet, and now I am thinking I might do my border like this, too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wasn't sure about Bonnie's idea for the pieced border and didn't get around to trying your option. Never mind. As you say the colours have worked out fine.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice job! I have 11 more blocks to assemble. I really like your border changes. I kept looking at the pictures on her blog and thinking that I didn't like it...especially the corners. Thanks for the idea.

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful as always, Michelle.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like what you did with the border and the corner unit! I think it makes a beautiful finish.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the diamonds for the Border. I'm not quite there yet. Great time to sew with your daughter home.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous! Love your border idea!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my, your quilt is turning out stunning - neat and clean, and then I notice your home is that way as well - neat, understated, but no "stuff" all over (like mine!)

    It's another beauty - full of color.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh its beautiful, love your colors!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It looks great! Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really like the blues and reds in your quilt, and the change-up you did with the border triangles is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love your color combination. I was too nervous about colors to change mine from Bonnie's choices. How about "American Solstice" or "Patriot's Solstice" for names? Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. love the whole quilt~ It's simply beautiful! You are so creative in being able to switch up the borders. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. LOVE how your quilt turned out. The secondary design is really great! Nice idea to put your machine by the table so you and your daughter could have more time together.

    ReplyDelete
  23. absoutely beautiful and I love how you made the border.
    Congratulations Michell, great work!
    Bente

    ReplyDelete
  24. Michelle, this is awesome. I think the name is perfect, have been to Ireland and seen Newgrange where the solstice is observes. It's a circular mound with a stone passageway. The sun shines into the inner chambers...has religious significance according to Wiki

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love your version of Celtic Solstice!! I am now ready to start the borders. I have arranged them on my design wall in several directions. After seeing yours together, I think this is the version I like the best!

    AJ
    The Quilting Pot Podcast

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love your color choices for the quilt and your border design. Nick is just the cutest little quilt inspector :)

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from my blog friends! I had to disable "Anonymous" comments though. Thanks for stopping by!!