Wednesday, January 22, 2014

First finish for 2014

Well, we are 2/3rds of the way through January and I finally have a finish!  This is a block of the month I did last year called Warm Winter Blessings, by Primitive Gatherings.  I just love it!  I think I quilted this just after Christmas, then I was really pokey doing the binding...but I was determined to have it finished so I could hang it up in January...heck, it may stay up all "winter," which lasts until March or April in these parts.  :)

I really enjoyed working with the wool on this one and didn't want to see it end!  I tried my hand at a little "custom quilting" on this one.  I have sooo MUCH to learn and need to improve my skills, but I'm happy with it.  I had fun trying a few different designs in the background behind the snowman.

A bit of a wonky picture...but this is one of my favorite blocks and then I was pretty happy with the quilting design I tried.

I braved the freezing temps to get an outside picture (miraculously, there is no wind!), just to see if I can get a better pic of the true colors...by now you've likely seen the Snowman Gatherings fabric line that is used in this BOM/kit.  Love the blues!

The pattern calls for a 5" border all the way around beyond the checkerboard border...that made it a little too large for a wall hanging, in my opinion, so I left them off.  I had a perfect spot to hang it here in the foyer.  Love it!!  Someday in my "forever house," I'll buy a quilt hanger/rack for it...but for now, my trusty 3M hangers will do.

Hopefully I'll have more finishes soon!  I have been making progress on a few things, so if things go as planned, I'll be sharing more soon!

Happy Quilting!
~Michelle



12 comments:

  1. I like everything about this snowman quilt! You did a great job on it! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So lovely! :)
    Greetings from Finland!
    Hugs, Ulla

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous job! I just love this quilt. I guess it's a "bonus" that you can keep it up through March/April--good way to turn a western winter into a positive LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your quilt turned out great! It looks perfect on your wall, and I agree about leaving the extra border off, it would have been too large.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's my favorite block, too! Great looking quilting on it!
    Looks so good on your wall. Wish my kit was finished so one could hang on my wall all winter, too. I guess I need to put in the work. : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love snowmen so I love this quilt! Great job!!I

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really nice! The background quilting is a finishing touch!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful job Michelle! Looks great on your wall ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful job Michelle! Looks great on your wall ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful job Michelle! Looks great on your wall ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your snowmen! Tell me more about using 3M hangers to hold quilts. I'm thinking that might be good for things I want to hang but only for a certain season or holiday and I don't want to put a hanger up in that area year-round....but I'm not sure how you do that with just hooks....

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from my blog friends! I had to disable "Anonymous" comments though. Thanks for stopping by!!