Saturday, January 11, 2014

Goodnight Irene Sew Along

New year, new projects...right?  Honestly, I'm trying to keep new projects to a minimum, but when Terry at Terry's Treasures announced a new sew along back in November, I caved.  :)  I've been wanting to make a one color quilt for forever and I thought this would be a good option!  The problem was, I didn't know which color I wanted to start with.  Red and blue are always good, but I've made a few quilts with those colors recently and I have plans for a couple more, so I really wanted something else...and maybe even outside my box a little.  I asked my niece what her favorite color is and she answered "hot pink!"  So hot pink it is!  LOL

But first, I wanted to make these portable design boards after seeing them on JoAnne's blog.  I usually use my 12 1/2" square ruler to layout my block units...then I don't have my ruler handy to use should I need it!  I made these 12 1/2" and used leftover binding strips for the edges.  I think I will need a couple of larger sizes next!  They were pretty easy to make...a little more time consuming than I expected...but maybe I just get bored easily.  As you can see, I put them right to work!

I laid out squares for four blocks, then stacked them up and took them to the sewing machine.  I generally sew one block at a time like this, mainly because I'm a little OCD about what fabric is next to what.  :P  This picture was taken the earliest in the day, so with the good lighting this shows the colors pretty accurately.  Very pink!

Here are my sew along blocks for January.  I'm going to make this quilt a little larger than Terry's, so I'll make 7 blocks each month.  Man, those black X's really stand out, don't they?  I hope this combination works!

I was tempted to keep going as I really wanted to see the pink square blocks start to pop out...but the truth is...I need more pinks!!  I cut up everything in my stash and have enough to do about 1/2 the blocks I'll need.  I do not have any pink yardage left.  Yay!  Of course, it was probably the color that I had the least amount of...but still, it feels good to be using this stuff up!  I think I'll look for a couple more HOT PINK fq's to add in.

Of course, in true Bonnie fashion, I made bonus triangles...and had to play a little.  Love these chevrons that are popping up everywhere these days.... 

or just a straight setting is very dramatic...(I -thought- I was taking a straight picture....apparently not)

And of course, I have to try a star...

Thanks Terry for a fun sew along...it's not too late to join in!

Happy Quilting!
~Michelle

25 comments:

  1. I told you those boards would come in really handy, ha ha. I will admit that the hot gluing gets tedious, but in the end it is worth it. The hot pink and black are really fun! I love the chevron look.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! The pink and black is amazing together! And I love how you're using up your leftover bits too! I still need to do that. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love those little portable design boards -- how cool!!! And whoa, but that star is fabulous!! Love the black and pink combo!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. those boards are great! I've bookmarked the tutorial and I think some are in my near future!! thanks Michelle! your hot pink blocks look great :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the pink and black, that looks like a fun block!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love my design boards--I have over 30 and sometimes lay out a whole quilt on them when my design wall is busy. So easy to stack them up by the machine and stitch whenever I get to them. But I don't put the edge on mine. It is more work, and sometimes it would clash so much with the blocks I am making, I want to see the blocks without the added colors. I've though about edging them in cream, but like I said. It is more work. Did someone say "lazy"? : )
    I have absolutely no hot pink, or I would send some your way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow! This is going to be such a fun/bright quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW...I can say you are really "in the pink"!!! I'll have to check out those boards you showed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW...I can say you are really "in the pink"!!! I'll have to check out those boards you showed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A great conglomeration of designs made both traditional blocks AND Modern blocks - good ideas, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are so on the ball!! Love the boards. Saw them on Bee in My Bonnets site a few years ago and never made any. With CS, I've been using my 12 1/2" ruler. Guess I should make some too! :) Love the pink and black together. I can't play with you girls. Too much happening but will watch how you all progress.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the pink & black color combination.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the pinks...great colours. The black sure pops!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is so pretty with the black along with the pinks.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really like the black with the pink...this quilt will be so pretty when finished.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The pink and black look great together.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very striking color combo! I am stitching the little HSTs, too. Those are fun to play with ... :) Pat

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful combo .Your boards are great.Have a fun week!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's going to be gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is going to be a fun quilt , I love your various uses of the leftover HST's too , very clever !

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your blocks do pop. I love the colors you have used.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Fun colors...your Goodnight Irene quilt is going to be a nice gift for your niece.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love the black paired with pink! Looks like you had a lot of fun playing with your half square triangles.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Looking Good! I see you are having a lot of fun with those little HST's : )

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love the pinks with black - so striking.

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from my blog friends! I had to disable "Anonymous" comments though. Thanks for stopping by!!