Tuesday, February 18, 2014

A few finishes! (and lots of pics!)

Hope you all enjoyed the long weekend.  We sure did...the temps were up a little higher over the weekend, so we found ourselves wanting to get out of the house!  We went to a couple of movies, out to dinner for Valentine's, a little shopping.  We did attempt to go skiing, and even had the car loaded with our skis and equipment and made the drive to the resort, but we decided it was just too windy for us amateurs.  LOL  50+ mph wind gusts on a ski lift does not sound like fun to me.  :P

I didn't get much sewing done this weekend, though I did finish up a few projects in the evenings.  I tried to get a few outdoor pictures, but the wind is still blowing like crazy...so I couldn't do much.  First up is the soccer quilt for my nephew.  I asked him his favorite color and he said Dark Yellow!  He also loves soccer.  I'm really pleased with this quilt...the yellow isn't too crazy after all.  :)

You can see the snow is almost gone thanks to a couple of days of temperatures above freezing and the flag gives you an idea what the wind is doing!  LOL

I had to go inside for a full picture...it would not stay flat outside!


I did the same fun swirly design as a previous quilt I showed...mainly because it was already set up on my machine!  But I think it works just perfect!

On the back is a really soft flannel I found at JoAnn's.  The black binding with mostly black backing makes for a not so easy time of hand-stitching!  The fabric is sooo dark, it was hard to see as I usually stitch at night while watching the TV.  

 The next finish is my first Schnibbles quilt!  I've had these two books for a couple of years, but just have never made anything out of them.  I've been seeing lots of Schnibble quilts pop up on blogs and on Instagram lately, so I got itchin' to try one.  I had these two OLD charm packs...I think I've had them 5-6 years.  Kansas Troubles is a classic though!

I decided to go with "Plan C..."  The patterns are really nicely written and they are quick to assemble.

And here is my finished quilt!  I love it!  I had intentions of hanging it where I have the "Warm Winter Blessings" hanging, but this one is just a bit too small.  It's just a matter of moving the hangers...so we'll see!

I did a fun swirly quilting design and used an old homespun from my stash for the backing.  The binding was another piece from my stash and isn't an exact match to the Kansas Troubles, but I think it's pretty close!!

And last is a quilt I showed earlier in January as one of the UFO's I wanted to finish up.  Well...it's done!  We had a new baby boy born to one of the families in the unit and at the last minute I decided I wanted to give them a quilt.  I mean, I've known this baby was coming since I met the family last summer...but of course I waited until I get news the baby was born before deciding on a quilt.  Since I had this top assembled...all it needed was quilting and binding.

I also decided to machine sew the binding on....this was my first -completed- attempt at this method.  I've tried in the past and just gave up because I wasn't happy with the results.  This time, I tried a couple of different things and I have to say, I'm mostly happy with the results!  It's not my favorite way to finish the binding, but I definitely like the quicker finish!  It's far from perfect...but I'll improve with more practice!  I've heard that this is probably a more durable binding, especially for baby/toddler quilts that will be washed more frequently.  Anyway...it's in the wash as we speak, by the way, and will be ready for delivery tonight along with the meal I am taking for the family!

Whew....that was a lot of pictures!!  Hope you all have a great week!

Happy Quilting!
~Michelle



17 comments:

  1. The soccer quilt finished up great!
    Be still my heart--that Schnibble in KT fabrics is REALLY calling my name. I have one of Carrie's books, and have never made a quilt from it, and I have LOTS of KT fabric. SO tempting, but I am supposed to be finishing things this year, not starting more!!! Oh, you temptress. : )
    Wonderful job on the baby quilt. I keep thinking I will try that machine binding method--I have used other methods, but not this one. I do think it is good for kids quilts to be more securely bound. Looks good from here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All fabulous projects, Michelle. Love KT fabric and it looks great done with that Schnibbles pattern. I tried machine binding on a few small projects at Christmas and will try it on the next baby quilt. Thanks for sharing and I'm jealous you can see grass. We had more snow last night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that soccer quilt and I"m sure the family of the new baby will be very touched by the quilt you are giving them AND the meal you are providing, too. I cannot blame you for not going on a ski lift with such high winds!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved the quilt show! And Im with your nephew, I love yellow too! Thanks for sharing all your fabulous projects ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. As soon as I saw "lots of pictures" ,I couldn't wait to open up your blog. Love all the quilts. The soccer one is so fun looking!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE your Plan C, and I love the fabrics you used for it! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great photos! I love eye candy. The quilt for you nephew is awesome. I really like the baby quilt, too--especially the asymmetry of it. I am always pushing myself to get away from the "balanced" look, and this is a great example for me. The the Schnibble is great, too. I hope you will enter it in the parades! "The wind is still blowing like crazy." Heh, heh, welcome to the midwest. Don't forget I'm from South Dakota. I don't think it ever stops!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful quilts, you have been busy. I love seeing all the different looks and fabric that you use. Happy Quilting, Marylin in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  9. For someone who didn't get much done over the long weekend, you sure have a lot to show! Amazing! The yellow is so colorful and perfect! I'm sure he will love it. That long arm of yours is a treasure in your hands. Love the views of your neighborhood!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love doing bindings by machine! I sew it on the back first then flip it over and sew down the front right next to the edge ( I have a walking foot that is very open so this is easy to do). I can whip bindings on in no time (not to mention sewing bindings down by hand isn't the easiest with arthritis in my hands). You have been really busy getting quilts done! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The quilts are beautiful. I always love the Schnibbles and yours is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just finished piecing the xrated schnibbles quilt in 30s reproductions. I love it. I plan to make one with the same pattern you used although I haven't decided on fabrics yet.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your quilt is gorgeous Michelle! I am so sorry that I missed putting it in the parade... but it's there now... front and center! (is that a military phrase?)
    Thanks so much for being in the group! Your blog is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Michelle! Welcome to the Schnibbles parade :-) I love your Plan C and your soccer quilt too! My son likes soccer and yellow so your quilt gets two thumbs up here :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. All of your projects turned out beautiful. Glad to be "running" with such talented people in this very unique Shnibbles parade. Just hope I can keep up. Judy C

    ReplyDelete
  16. All your quilts are beautiful! I really love how your Plan C came out!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You got a lot done! I'm so glad you joined in the Schnibbles parade so I could stop by and see them all. I really like the pattern of the baby quilt. As for your Plan C, I'm so impressed it's already quilted! I always try to get mine quilted by the end of the month and I think I've succeeded once so far. LOL I hope to see you in more parades!

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from my blog friends! I had to disable "Anonymous" comments though. Thanks for stopping by!!