Friday, February 28, 2014

Checking in...

It's crazy how fast time flies!  I can't believe tomorrow is March 1st already.  Part of me is anxious for spring and summer to get here, but the other part of me wants the world to slow down!

I haven't blogged in a while because I felt like I didn't have anything quilty to share...in fact, I thought I might be getting into a bit of a quilting slump, but then I realized I actually have been accomplishing a few things.  In fact, I have the auction quilt just about finished, with just a little bit of binding left to do, so I'll wait until it's finished to share pictures.

Have you seen these pieced letters around the blog world?  It was a blog hop by Moda called "Spell it with Fabric."  I didn't pay much attention at first, but then saw a few of them pop up on some of the blogs I follow and Instagram and I couldn't resist making an "M" for myself!  I borrowed JoAnne's idea of adding the little star.  I love it!  You can find the patterns for the letters HERE (seems Moda took the link page down. :( )and the little star pattern HERE.


I even like the way the back looks!

For now I have it hanging in my sewing room.  I'm not sure I -love- it here, so it may move to another location....

I think part of my almost slump came from feeling like I have to/should work on the auction quilt.  Sometimes when I know I -have- to work on something, I lose all motivation!  Does that happen to anyone else?  Well, one thing that motivated me was telling myself as soon as that one was finished, I could start a new project!  LOL  On our recent trip to Florida to see our son, Zach, I realized he doesn't have or use a comforter or bedspread for his queen size bed!  What, no quilt on the bed???  How can I let that happen!!??  I told him he needed one and he agreed!  

It was hard to decide what quilt I thought he would like...but finally settled on this one.  It's called "16 Patch & Pinwheels," by Bonnie Hunter.  Surprise, surprise...I always seem to fall back to a Bonnie pattern!!  


Bonnie's is obviously scrappy with all colors, but I know Zach's favorite color is green...so I decided to go with scrappy greens and pulled everything that I thought would work out of my stash.  I didn't use fabrics with flowers or anything too feminine looking.  :)  Here are all the strips ready to go...there are some really old fabrics in there!  I'm happy to be putting them to use and out of the stash!  I'll probably have to supplement a little with a trip to the quilt shop, as I'm not sure how many blocks I'll get from this.

At first I thought the pinwheels were matching, like this....

 but then, upon closer inspection, she has some matching and some scrappy.  I think I'll like the scrappy pinwheels better, especially since the 16 patch blocks will be completely scrappy...

Wanna see something?  This is another green quilt I made for Zach in 2004!!  I told you...he likes green!  I remember when I was collecting fabrics for this back then, his only requirement was NO FLOWERS!  :)  It's a large throw size....and THIS is what he is using on his bed at the moment.  Isn't that sweet?!

Hope you all have a great weekend!

Happy Quilting!
~Michelle






11 comments:

  1. I love your little M quilt! I know an alphabet quilt would be wonderful, but I'm not ambitious enough to make one. And wow...that quilt you're going to make is going to be beautiful in greens! I'm really looking forward to seeing your progress on it! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the stars in the letters. That is a sweet little monogram quilt.
    That Bonnie pattern is a winner and I think it will be very cool in the greens. I love the TATW in black and green. I made similar quilts for my daughters in their favorite colors when they were in high school--one was green and gold, the other was purple and black.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I''l be following the progress on your Bonnie quilt. I think I have fabric pulled for that quilt in a bag somewhere in a box in my not-yet-unpacked sewing room LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Zach's quilt will be wonderful and I'm sure he'll be glad for something larger than a throw on that bed of his. :) I'll look forward to seeing your auction quilt, too. YES......quite often the things I "MUST" do are the ones that seem to motivate me the least, so don't feel alone in that. I'm sure a lot of folks have the same issue. As for me, I AM wishing winter away (and our area is due to get as much as a foot of snow tomorrow......UGH)!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooooh! I love the little initial quilt ... I think I may need to make one of those for my stand! Thanks for sharing the two links. Love Zach's "no flowers" throw!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bummer, Michelle, the link for the initials doesn't work. :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Incredible, Michelle, as always. The little initial quilt is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the initial~ I have a book with them in it but always just glanced over them. Think I'll take a second look at that book~

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do not like deadlines either, they seem to take some of the fun out of things. I love your M, I'm thinking of making one for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just found your blog through the schnibbles parade. I'm exactly the same with anything I have to work on, it demotivated me, even something as nice as making a quilt. Funny how that works. What usually gets me over the line is something like thinking about what I can work on when I've finished too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just found your blog through the schnibbles parade. I'm exactly the same with anything I have to work on, it demotivated me, even something as nice as making a quilt. Funny how that works. What usually gets me over the line is something like thinking about what I can work on when I've finished too.}

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from my blog friends! I had to disable "Anonymous" comments though. Thanks for stopping by!!