Thursday, March 27, 2014

3rd time is a charm....


Unfortunately, it's actually the 5th, 6th, or 7th time!  I'm talking about irons!!  I have the worst luck with irons.  I know I've cried and whined about it many times before...but it's just something that bugs me sooo much!  LOL  My "big" iron has held up remarkably well (knock on wood!)...it's been almost TWO years ago that I bought it.  I'm sure I'm jinxing myself here...but I usually only get about a year out of an iron, no matter the price.

Over the past year, I've had issues with my smaller "travel" or table iron.  I use it on a side table next to my machine for smaller projects or for times like now when I'm working on a paper pieced project like the Points of Pride quilt.  I had a small Conair red iron that worked great for a about 6-7 years, but truthfully, I only used it when I went to workshops or retreats.  One day, the steam function stopped working.  Did I mention I love steam.  Must.have.steam.  :)

Then I went through one or two others and just didn't like them.  They didn't steam well, caught the edge of the fabric, etc.  Finally I found this one and it worked well for about six months.  Then with no warning...kaput!  No heat.

Ugh...back to Amazon I went.  I think I've tried all the "travel iron" options that pop up when I put it in the search box.  So, this is the next victim option....made by Hamilton Beach.  It had decent reviews (none of them get all favorable).

It's a bit bigger than the last few I've tried and the handle is a little funky...but if it does the job, I'm good with it!  I'll let you know how I like it after a few days of giving it a try! 

Happy Quilting!
~Michelle


12 comments:

  1. I hope your new iron works for you! I don't use steam...ever! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, I hope this one does the trick, too!! Irons can be tricky, temperamental things!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll be interested to see how it works for you. I haven't loved my last couple of irons.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The steam is your issue. I don't use water in mine and I've had both for over six years. I just use water in a separate spray bottle to mist with.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Irons are a real problem. For my big one I resorted to just getting a cheap one at Walmart since I've figured out that no matter the brand--it just isn't going to last very long, but it doesn't seem to get very hot! However, about 6 months, I went to a neighborhood estate sale and they had an old one and it gets hot! I'm weaning myself off steam and find I can with that iron b/c of the heat. I used lots of steam with my new one b/c it didn't seem hot. Onto travel irons: I just don't think they are designed to be used as much as we quilters use them. A true travel iron probably never gets used that much, if you think about it, consequently they aren't well made. I had one and dropped it and so the water didn't last anymore. Again, I found a vintage one--it the handle folds sideways and is so cute--but it doesn't hold water. I use a spray bottle with it. I understand the frustration with irons, though. I just don't think the manufacturers design one with 6-8 hours of use a day in mind! They are probably only considering 1-2 hours per week...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I feel your pain! LOL!! I finally went to my local thrift store and found an old Sunbeam dry iron. It works GREAT and gets nice and hot. No steam, but water in a spray bottle works just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Irons are the bane of my existence. I gave up on Rowenta and started buying inexpensive irons because I go through them like sliced bread. Then I went back to a high end Rowenta. I asked the DH to checkout for me, while I went to the Class 6 store. He came in rolling his eyes. The lady at the checkout said, "WOW, you must do a lot of ironing!" DH said, "No, my wife is a quilter." To which the clerk said, "She must be pretty darn good."

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh...Irons! What a sour subject. My everyday-aroun- the-house iron quit. So I went and bought the very same iron...except that it leaks and the bottom doesn't glide as well across the fabric. Grrr. My travel iron broke on my last retreat...it's like yours but by Rowenta. I will post what I did to fix it because it really is a great little travel iron. Good luck with yours.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope it works for you. It is an interesting handle design. Comfortable?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Should be able to get a decent small iron but guess they don't make them like they used to. Anyway....keep us posted as I am on a hunt for a small iron that "works" well. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm not a steam user so I bought an iron that is a DRY iron from Amazon. Gets really hot but does NOT have auto shut off! I'm always worried...did I unplug the iron? Well, now I put the iron in the closet when I am done quilting. I know that if it is there it is OFF!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I only very rarely use steam on my iron....usually if ironing wrinkles out of a tablecloth. For sewing projects, I use a spray bottle of water. I've not gone through too many irons, BUT I also don't do nearly as much stitching as you do. Good luck with this little iron. I hope it lasts longer than your previous one!

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from my blog friends! I had to disable "Anonymous" comments though. Thanks for stopping by!!