Thursday, March 13, 2014

Hook(ed)

It's official.  I'm hooked on Schnibbles!  I'm sure you've heard of them by now...cute little patterns made with charm packs or charm size squares.  I've always admired the little quilts and even have plenty of patterns and books, but they were just put in that "some day" category.  I finally made my first one last month, which you probably remember was called Plan C.  I found out about the Schnibbles Parade held by A Quilting Life and Pink Pincusion and decided to join in!  Each month a different pattern is selected and for March the pattern is "Hook."  How appropriate...because I'm completely "hooked" on Schnibbles.  :)

"Hook" from Miss Rosie's Quilt Co

First thing to do...pick fabric!  I did not have two matching charms packs (I think most of the patterns use two), so I needed to turn to my "stash" to find something.  I had this nice little stack of blues and greens leftover from the 2012 Quiltville Mystery quilt called "Easy Street," and decided it was time to use 'em up!


Most were FQ size or a little less, so I ironed them up and cut them into 5" squares...and added a few 2", 2.5", and 3.5" strips to my bins as well.  The best part is, they are cut and ready to be used and not stuffed in a box anymore!

This pattern looks complicated...and it is complicated to a degree.  But...if you follow the very well written directions, it's not difficult at all!  I was really pleased with how well it came together.  A 60 degree ruler is a must!  Here are all my stars...or half stars rather.  The directions have you assemble in rows as opposed to blocks, but that technique makes it possible to avoid any Y seams and that's a very good thing!!

Ta-da!  I'm so pleased with the end result!  I'm not used to using so much "white."  I'm usually drawn to neutrals that are off white or tan...so I wasn't sure how I'd like all the WHITE!  But it turned out fine!  I think it will make a nice baby quilt for a sweet little boy.


Of course, I tried to get an outdoor picture...but once again, the wind is a blowin'!  This picture gives an idea of all the seams!  So many seams!  And most are pressed open!  I love the little checkerboard border...

There were only two things I tried to control with the colors...I wanted all the blue "blades" pointing the same way...but you'll see that I rotated 2 or 3 of them.  I also wanted each block to have a blue and a green...but you can see here that didn't work!  LOL  But then after I sewed this one together, I kind of like the two-tone version!

 I think this block is the culprit...I think that darker color was one of my "greens," but somehow it got sewn together as a blue.  Oh well...I wasn't willing to change it at that point.  Once again, no one will likely notice if I would just stop pointing out my booboos!!  :) 

I'm not sure when I'll have a chance to quilt this one...I have a few others in the queue that must get done.  We don't have any babies coming in the near future, so it'll be okay if this one sits for a while.  I do have lots more blue and green charms...I think I'm going to make a couple disappearing 9 patch quilts with those, so stay tuned!!

Happy Quilting!
~Michelle

23 comments:

  1. I sure don't see any boo-boos! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely cute quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute, Michelle! Great way to use up the leftovers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the colors you chose, those are the colors of my sewing room!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your quilt top! Those colors are fantastic! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm going to look up these Schnibbles quilts! I have heard of them but never investigated them. Love what you have done here with the "Hook" pattern. Adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is gorgeous!!! Being hooked on Schnibbles doesn't sound like a bad thing to me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What fun, sparkly quilt! Nice color combo!
    I love all the Schnibbles I am seeing around blogs, but I am resisting with all my might!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Every month I admire your version, they are always wonderful ! This year I opted to finish UFOs and not start new projects but I miss Schnibbles.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think it looks fabulous. I love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Welcome to AYOS - it is a fun group, isn't it? I haven't started Hook yet, but I got in my background fabric yesterday - so perhaps this will be the weekend. Yours turned out great! I am a new follower of your blog and have enjoyed reading your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that quilt.....blue and green are my two favorite colors, so I'd naturally love this one! AND....how nice to now have Y seams. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice quilts, and Nice cats Down here:-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely quilt. Someone will be excited with this gift for their new baby. You do such lovely projects. You are one busy person. Happy Quilting, Marylin in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can see why you're hooked! What fun these are!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I sat this month out but I have to say I love the choice of colors you picked. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Adorable quilt! I love the colors. I hope to get back to Schnibbling in April now that the big move is over :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think it looks lovely. I really like the two tone blue star. A point of difference is always good I reckon.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your quilt is beautiful Michelle! I love the colors in your version!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fantastic colors! It has a sparkle that grabbed my attention in this month's Schnibbles.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great job! I love your colours. Welcome to the parade!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your quilt makes me think of going to the lake. Very pretty blues and greens in it. How great that you were able to pull everything from your stash!

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from my blog friends! I had to disable "Anonymous" comments though. Thanks for stopping by!!