Monday, March 24, 2014

Points of Pride

I pulled out an oldie but goodie and decided I'm going to seriously focus on this one to get it finished!!  This is called Points of Pride and was featured in the August 2010 issue of American Patchwork & Quilting.  I knew right away that I -had- to do this quilt...but I think I've been a bit intimidated by the time investment it's going to be.  I lugged it back and forth to retreat a couple of times, but I've never really put 100% effort into it.  Now is the time!!  I know it's not going to be a fast project, but if I just stay consistent working on it, it will be done eventually!  I have 12 of 64 blocks finished, so I definitely have my work cut out for me!  I think I need to take Dori's advice (from Finding Nemo) and instead of counting how many more I have left to do, I say, "Just keep swimming...just keep swimming! (or sewing, in this case)!  :)


 The blocks are paper-pieced and these are the "trimmings."  I can't bear to throw them out, so I knew I would need to find some way to put them to use!

That's when I remembered this little gem.  I picked up this pattern at the quilt shop in Indiana during retreat week one year and it's the perfect solution to use up all those lovely scraps!

Now it's time to buckle down and get 'er done!!

Happy Quilting!

~Michelle

13 comments:

  1. That is going to be a beautiful quilt!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is going to be well worth the time and effort put into it, Michelle, as it is such a lovely quilt. Good idea to have the scrap one sewing at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love BOTH projects, Michelle! Gorgeous big stars and sweet little ones. And you can never go wrong with R/W/B!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember seeing that first project in the magazine when it came out! It's going to be beautiful! And I love that little block for your second project too. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are going to have 2 beautiful quilts when you are finished! Really love them both!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I walk past my bin with my project inside just about every day and tell myself to work on it.....I have 2-3 blocks made so I have a LONG way to go to finishing....Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just keep swimming!! A great quote to keep in mind with this project. It is going to be BEAUTIFUL when it's done. I have a NY Beauty quilt that really needs to be finished at some point too. Maybe I should dig it out and work on it with your quote in mind:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You go! I saved the same magazine in hopes of making that same quilt. Somehow, seeing how I've not even come close to starting it, I doubt I'll ever make it. I'll live vicariously though you.

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow -- these points are prickly sharp -- great job!! And a nice job with your scraps, too! Waste not, want not, right??!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have that magazine and considered doing the pattern. I just haven't gotten around to it, yet, ha ha. It will be fun to track your progress in making it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know I'd never finish a quilt like that but I know YOU will...and it will be wonderful. I do enjoy paper-piecing, though. I hope you will keep us posted of your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  12. love this quote from Dora...I'm going to use that often. lol This is going to be a beautiful quilt

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm working on a UFO that uses thangles. I need over 1000 half square triangles. I've been telling myself the same thing, "Just keep sewing, just keep sewing."

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from my blog friends! I had to disable "Anonymous" comments though. Thanks for stopping by!!