Friday, June 13, 2014

Home Improvements

(Warning!  Lots of pics!  You can click on them to get a closer view!)

I really, really love this old house we live in.  I truly feel honored and blessed to live in a house that has been a part of history and often think of the people that have lived here before us in the last 100+ years.  But...as a "renter," I'm glad I don't have to pay for the up-keep.  There is ALWAYS something that needs attention on these houses...whether it's indoors or out.

The last couple of weeks (obviously, because winter has finally passed), we've had all kinds of activity going on....
First was some repair work to the outside brick...I'm not exactly sure what they were doing, I think checking for cracks in the mortar and patching cracks and holes.

Also on the agenda....tear down this garage.  We had to have all of our "stuff" out by April 30th, but of course it sat empty until the end of May.  We really didn't keep a lot in there, just yard stuff, tools, and bikes.  My car would fit (barely), but with no automatic door openers, it was kind of a pain to use.  We only used it when there was a hail storm.  LOL  The truck wouldn't fit at all.

The garage was not as bad as it looks here...I think they took nails and other hardware out and that left the paint all scrappy looking...but the roof was sagging and needed to be replaced.  I think the Housing Contractor figured it was cheaper to replace the garages than to keep repairing these older buildings.

Who wouldn't like this job?  He just started pulling on the roof with the front of his Bobcat....

...until it started to come down.  Only took a day to tear it down and load it in to two dumpsters...


Bye, bye garage....we will be getting a brand new one!  They are doing about 40 garages at the same time, so I don't expect it to be done for a couple of months.  I'll be sure to post a pic when it's finished!  :)

Now it's looked like this for the last week...except that today I think the foundation is completely gone.  They seemed to pause work on it while another crew did this:

New sidewalks/walkways!


and along the side of the house....

and the parking pad on that same side of house....(you can see the old parking pad/sidewalk in the picture of the brick repair above.  We didn't know they were doing this until we came home and it was gone!)
  
Here is the new, expanded parking area!

They also put all this in...we had no idea they were doing this area, so I didn't get "before" pics, but this was asphalt all the way to the garbage can storage area.

And this!!  This is the other side of the house...you can see a sidewalk leading up to the stairs...that was there, but to the left of it was grass!  They took out all that grass and replaced it with concrete!!  What???  We also didn't know about that part!  It has something to do with drainage as the concrete now has a slight slant to it...to keep the water from seeping into the foundation of the house.  Really?  After 100 years, it's a problem now?  LOL

But look!!  Pretty new walkways....

Now the landscaping crew needs to come by and repair/fill in the grass and it'll be done!  They are working on the neighbors sidewalks as I type this.

Hope you all are enjoying your summer!  I know we are...and I'm still amazed that just one month ago today we had 12" of new snow!  :)

Happy Quilting!
~Michelle

5 comments:

  1. Is your housing there privatized? That seems to be helping to get all of the much-needed maintenance done. They sure are doing a lot to your house right now, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Lots of new. Maybe not all "great" but ya gotta take the good with the bad when it comes to base housing ;-) See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It would be nice if they gave you a heads up! LOL I would like to live in an old house but the more we think about it, the more depressing the repairs seem - LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh what I would give to have someone come do all that to my house and not have to pay for it! LOL All that concrete had to cost a fortune. I can't believe how small that garage was. Weird. I guess it was built during the low-rider period?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've been busy!! Is the house on base? I love old houses. If only they could talk.

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from my blog friends! I had to disable "Anonymous" comments though. Thanks for stopping by!!