Friday, June 13, 2014

Wooly Stuff

I've been kind of in a wool frenzy lately.  A few weeks ago, I pulled out this kit I've had for a few years.  I bought it at Huckleberry Patches in McCall, Idaho, back when we lived in Idaho.  I thought it would be a good car project, but realized it's too floppy for the car.  I had better results stitching it at a table where it could lay flat. I'm waiting for some pumpkin orange perle cotton to arrive, then I'll be able to finish the applique stitches.  I'll show a picture when it's finished!

This is another oldie!  A few of us bought these at Back Door Quilts in Indianapolis a few years ago during retreat.  Mine sat in the package until recently.  The draw to these kits were the fact that they were pre-cut AND had fusible on the back of each piece.  Well...it turns out, I didn't like it!  It's very thick and if you look closely, the black background wouldn't "stick" to the grey backing and now it's kind of puffy and loose.  Weird.  I've tried steaming the heck out of it to shrink it down, but so far no luck.  It's okay...it fits nicely on this table with a vase on it, and then you can't see the puffiness too much.  I've used fusible with other projects, but I prefer to cut most of the inside of the shape out before fusing, then the piece isn't overly stiff from all that fusible.  Click here for an example of cutting away the fusible, it's with a cotton project, but it's the same process.

Now....Here is a NEW project to share.  Primitive Gatherings is hosting a 10th Anniversary Stitch Along.  This one is a freebie and she'll be posting steps about every 2-3 weeks.  This is the center block and she hinted that it will be a small, medallion style wall hanging.  I've heard of some folks doing it in cotton and embroidery too!  This block will finish at 6"!  Those are some teeny tiny pieces!  I used wool from my stash and did the applique with DMC floss.  There is one boo-boo, but my daughter said I have to stop pointing out my boo-boos so I'm not going to tell you where it is.  LOL  Can't wait to see what's next!

I also joined Primitive Gatherings Block of the Week called Sunflower Gatherings.  If you haven't checked it out on her blog, you must go see.  She hasn't revealed the whole quilt yet, but there have been plenty of peeks and it's gorgeous!  I couldn't resist!  I'm waiting for an order of a few colors of perle cotton before I can finish the applique on these, but they are cut and ready to go!  More small pieces, as these blocks finish at 10".  This is week one... 

and week two....there is some overlap to the blocks as there is a setting block in between each applique block.  Aren't they gorgeous!? 

And as a bonus...this little freebie block is included each week!  There is an adorable little quilt to make with these at the end...you can see it here.  These need stitching as well...and they will finish at 2.5"!

See why I couldn't resist??!!  I'm so enjoying these wool projects right now...I hope I keep up the momentum!  :)

Happy Quilting!
~Michelle



10 comments:

  1. WOW!!! Makes me want to pull out the wool, too! But I think I will have to wait until the first part of August to play. I adore the little freebie with the flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect harmony!!! We are so in the very same place...happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made the exact same pumpkin mat. It is one of my favorite pieces in my home.

    For the puffy one, try quilting some straight lines across the center in black. They won't show much, and it might "quilt out". Worth a try, yes?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have the pumpkin kit sitting in my cabinet waiting to be finished. I love working with the woolies. I wondered if you girls had started on your projects yet. Time to drag mine out and get to work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love these mats & quilt blocks. Getting closer to not being "scared" of applique . lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! You're nearly done with PG Summer BOW block 2 and I haven't even received mine yet! Hope you will continue to post photos of your blocks to keep me inspired. Your work is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. great job on your woolies!! My round penny rug wouldn't fuse properly either, so it's not just you lol Can't wait to start my own Primitive Gatherings blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love love love your projects. Wool appliqué is a great summer evening project. I've pulled out some of my old UFOs to work on watching World Cup games. I was very tempted by the PG BOW project but have previous years to finish first so I resisted. The pattern is wonderful though & I hope she puts it out afterwards. I think I have enough wool in the stash to make it LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. Balance your spiritual energy and get in harmony with your soul by practicing these Radha-Krishna meditations.


    Sri Gita Govinda
    -A book written in the 12th century, this is a description of the intimate loving affairs of Radha and Krishna
    http://www.mediafire.com/view/keqr4lqp7wr1rru/Sri_Gita_Govinda.pdf

    Govinda Lilamrta
    -An 400 year old book which poetically describes the eternal daily pastimes of Radha and Krishna
    http://www.mediafire.com/view/uhcuigauc6uqiei/Govinda_Lilamrita.pdf

    Ananda Vrindavan Campu
    -This is probably the most poetic and intimate portrayal of Sri Krsna’s life in Vrndavana that has ever been written.
    http://www.mediafire.com/view/k9j3ldwbt17be3b/Ananda_Vmdavana_Campu.pdf

    Prayers of Service to Radha and Krishna (Sankalpa Kalpadruma)
    http://www.mediafire.com/view/lvkqsro3sbzm249/Visvanath_Cakravarti_Thakur_Sankalpa_Kalpadruma.pdf

    Prema Samputa The Treasure Chest of Love
    http://www.mediafire.com/view/mpbncdyt97nw0x7/Prema_Samputa_The_Treasure_Chest_of_Love.pdf


    And the following four are taken from Visvanath Cakravarti's Camatkara Candrika, a 300 year old scripture that talks about the love meeting of Radha and Krishna:

    The Meeting in the Box
    http://www.mediafire.com/view/c81a7cp43n5v6aj/The_Meeting_in_the_Box.pdf

    The Meeting of Sri Krishna Disguised as a Female Doctor
    http://www.mediafire.com/view/hgomrnem7829pda/The_Meeting_of_Sri_Krsna_Disguised_as_a_Female_Doctor.pdf

    The Meeting of Sri Krishna Disguised as a Female Singer
    http://www.mediafire.com/view/gyuboduhn8dvdml/The_Meeting_of_Sri_Krsna_Disguised_as_a_Female_Singer.pdf

    The Meeting of Sri Krishna Disguised as Abhimanyu
    http://www.mediafire.com/view/911h9qoxn4ca027/The_Meeting_of_Sri_Krsna_Disguised_As_Abhimanyu.pdf


    And lastly, we have the supreme scripture which describes the 24 hour daily loving affairs of Radha and Krishna in Vrindavan, called Bhavanasara Sangraha. This book is now available on Amazon for Kindle, for only $3.49

    http://www.amazon.com/Bhavanasara-Sangraha-Mahanidhi-Swami-ebook/dp/B00CW9H4DI/ref=la_B00J2M5LAQ_1_15?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1402209195&sr=1-15

    Here is a 41 page sample of Bhavanasara Sangraha:
    http://www.mediafire.com/view/t4gsse2d4sw0f8p/Sample_of_Bhavanasara_Sangraha.pdf

    The above book can also be read on your PC using Amazon Kindle for PC, download here for free:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=kcp_pc_mkt_lnd?docId=1000426311

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your blocks are beautiful! My sister and friend are also doing this botm. I have resisted signing up (with great difficulty) and will have to enjoy this project through othersl I have seen the whole quilt and it is awesome! Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from my blog friends! I had to disable "Anonymous" comments though. Thanks for stopping by!!