Monday, October 13, 2014

Lots of sewing this week!

 I took advantage of some "free" days this week and sewed to my hearts content!  Yay!  Of course, that means that a few other things around the house were neglected, but who cares, right?!  LOL

I finished my Charming Stars top....it's not as big as I originally planned, but you know sometimes when a project tells you it's done?  This one was screaming STOP!  I had a really hard time with color placement and it was bugging me so much I was starting to not enjoy the project at all.  This line of fabric has lots of repeats and quite a few fabrics in the same colorway or just a shade off...to me, that makes it difficult to get an even look.  I tend to get a little OCD about same fabrics touching or being too close to each other, etc.  I think that's why I prefer working with "scraps," rather than one particular line of fabric or precuts.  Anyway...once I made the decision to STOP making blocks and assemble the top, I was happy and started to LOVE the project again.  :)  Also, you'll notice I didn't sash it.  It was too much "white" with these colors/fabrics.  I think I'll use flannel for the back to make it super cozy for winter snuggling. :)


I also finished another "Sew Together" bag.  This one is a birthday gift for a friend...and yes, these are pictures from inside the car.  I finished the hand-stitching part of the binding during a recent road trip and mailed it that same day!  I -never- wait until the last minute...nope.  :P

Just a pic of the inside....


NEXT...I wanted to start the next Schnibbles project, which is "Harvey."  Harvey is actually a BIG quilt by Schnibbles standards....he measures 72" square.  Well, I just didn't need another BIG quilt at this point....and since I'm trying to use just stash, I knew I wouldn't have yardage for a big quilt either.  So...I decided to make a mini-Harvey.  Mine measures 18" square.  I used a little stash of Civil War reproductions for the neutrals and I had a one yard piece of the brown for the background.  I'm pretty happy with it and even happier that I used what I had.  I made the 1" HST with the EZ Angle ruler and it went together perfectly, it took just a little more than one day to assemble!  Also, the original pattern doesn't have HST go all the way around the final border.  I had LOTS of them leftover (and still do!).  I have a brown/black stripe that I plan to bind it with...but I'm still unsure how to quilt it.


Last but not least is my Primitive Gatherings Sew Along project.  I finally caught up with the 4th installment.  I always think, "hmmm" when I see what she's chosen for the next round...but then once I get it all completed and added to my top, I love it!  I also love that it's been completely assembled with scrap/stash fabrics too!  Can't wait to see what's next!


Fall is almost gone here in Wyoming...I took this picture four days ago, and the leaves are almost completely gone now.  We woke up to frost covering everything this morning too.  Winter is quickly approaching!

Today is a "clean up the sewing room" day...after all those projects, it looks like a tornado hit!

Happy Quilting!
~Michelle

9 comments:

  1. A lovely post and interesting commentary too Michelle. I love seeing your 'fall' (autumn!) colours. Your projects are all gorgeous - love the Stars, the bag, Harvey and your Primitive Gatherings piece - hehe love them all! I bought the bag pattern another time you shared it but haven't used it yet. Also the EZ angle ruler sounds handy - something else for me to look into!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your Charming Stars--a flannel back will be a perfect finish to this coziness!
    I get OCD about similar fabrics, too. I try to let it go, but haven't conquered it yet.
    Great bag, and I LOVE that you miniaturized Harvey. Looks wonderful!
    Wait, how did you get ahead of me on the Primitive Gatherings SAL? Didn't I start first? *LOL* Maybe this will motivate me to get caught up.
    What a great house you live in. Can you take it with you when you have to move next? : ) But then, maybe you don't want to. Just because a house looks cool, doesn't mean it is easy to live in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your charming stars quilt but the mini Harvey has captured my heart! I must go and buy that bag pattern, I have wanted one for the longest time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michelle, the Primitive Gatherings SAL is so beautiful! Great choice on fabrics, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We had a frost yesterday morning...I'm so not ready for the colder weather. Your charming stars quilt looks wonderful! I'm not sashing mine either, but I might add alternate nine patch blocks to separate the stars. I saw one done like that and it looked really good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How beautiful! Fall is just now starting here in the Ozarks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a lot of sewing activity there and what great tops you are doing. Nice to get work done and such a great feeling when put together....love your colors and fall is in full bloom here in CT...enjoy it while it lasts

    ReplyDelete
  8. You do such nice work Michelle~ The "sew together " bag is cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, my! So many beautiful projects in this post! Love the stars quilt, the Sew Together bag, little Harvey and love, love, love your Primitive Gatherings sew along quilt. It was a great sewing week at your house!

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from my blog friends! I had to disable "Anonymous" comments though. Thanks for stopping by!!