Monday, December 01, 2014

Grand Illusion Monday Link Up and Schnibbles too!

The time is finally here!  The first clue of Bonnie Hunter's annual mystery quilt was released the day after Thanksgiving.  There was never any doubt I would participate...but it did seem like I was stuck in second gear and just couldn't get up and running.  

I did finally get my fabrics chosen...it'll be no surprise to most of you that I switched up the colors once again this year.  This time I'm going with Civil War-ish fabrics/colors.  I say "-ish," because I can't guarantee everything is truly a CW reproduction, but came from my stash and looked close enough to me!  I still need a trip to the LQS for a few more reds.  Cheddar will be my constant.  Of course, there will also be neutrals, which somehow escaped this picture!

Our son came for the Thanksgiving weekend...which he has done for the last few years...so I knew I was not going be able to jump up Friday morning when the clue was released and start cutting or sewing.  But I'm fine with that...if I had the choice of family being here or sewing, I'd choose family every time!  We had a great visit...skiing, sight-seeing, playing board games...and of course, eating!!  

Sunday afternoon after we dropped him at the airport, I did finally cut a few strips and get a little sewing accomplished.  Like most everyone else, I had to assemble a couple units from the first clue!

If you're following along at all through blogs and/or Facebook, you'll see a few guesses at what the units might possible turn in to....I love this star option.

After 6-7 mysteries with Bonnie...I've learned it's hard to predict what she's come up with.  She's good at holding us in suspense and keeping it a secret...and I for one am always amazed at how all the parts and units come together in the end!

There is sure to be many linking up on the Quiltville Blog today, so be sure to head over to check out everyone's progress!


 I also finished up this little gem this weekend.  This is part of the "Another Year of Schnibbles" sew along...but it's not a Schnibbles pattern!  The girls are branching out a little and trying something different...this pattern is Mini-Stems by Fig Tree.  I'll admit, after the crazy month I had and being away from home for over half of November, I really didn't think I'd be able to pull this one together.

I found myself with a free afternoon last week, though, and decided to see what I could do.  I looked in my pre-cut 1.5" bin and found enough strips to make it work.  The pattern shows it more scrappy, which is more my style too...but at that point, I just needed to get 'er done!  :)

It turns out, it's a perfect fit for a topper for my treadle machine...it is made with Christmas fabrics, but it just might need to stay there all year long!  This spot has become fun for Christmas decorations, so this will be a nice addition!

Sherri and Sinta will be posting the Schnibbles parade in the next day or two, so be sure to check out all the other "Stems" quilts!

Happy Quilting!
~Michelle

19 comments:

  1. Love the colors. Doing Civil War"ish" myself. I am always buying reds, seems I use alot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to make this mystery quilt but don't have time to begin until after the first of the year. I will be watching for your progress because I would choose Civil War"ish" fabrics too. And that does concern me a bit, making all the changes!

    Gloria
    gyates625@bellsouth.net

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty mystery blocks! I love how you have worked with the colours and made your own version!
    Also love your treadle machine there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will be interested to see how different your GIMQ will look from those with Bonnie's colors. I am not brave enough.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your fabrics for the mystery quilt look great together. And your stems topper is beautiful! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This will be a stunner in those fabrics! I love that star option too and may use it for another quilt I like it so much! You're so right about family time! Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your fabric choices for the mystery!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the colors for Grand Illusion. It will be stunning when completed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your earthy yet bright colour choices!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have really loved Bonnie's mystery quilts that others have made in repro fabrics. This is going to be wonderful--I love that cheddar is your constant!
    What a cute little topper for your machine!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your fabric choices for the mystery and your mini stems is so cute! So clever to make it in Christmas fabrics. I may have to make another one ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great colours for your Grand Illusion!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your Scnibbles is cute! I agree Bonnie is hard to guess at on the mysteries...half the time people think they have it figured out and it is the border unit they are guessing at :) Love your colors, cannot wait to see how it comes out!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your Stems on your machine! You made a lot of progress on the Grand Illusion. Nice colors.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your fabrics! I am using Civil War reproduction fabrics in mine too. Can't wait to see your finish.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I so wish I could be as brave as you & switch up the colors. Really like your choices. But...I get too confused too easily so mine will stay with the colors except for a true blue instead of aqua . Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Can't wait to see your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello Michelle. I love the colors you've chosen for your Bonnie Mystery. I haven't started on mine yet, but I have gathered my fabrics together, which is more that I had done last week, so I feel better than I did. I should probably weed my fabrics down to a more reasonable stack, but I seem to think "the more fabrics the better!" I like your blog. See you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh Michelle, I love how you always do a different color pallet and it's always beautiful. You have such great color sense. I am doing this mystery with my sister which might get me farther along than last year. Stopped at clue #3, which is the same block as this years #2. I don't think I like that one. lol

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from my blog friends! I had to disable "Anonymous" comments though. Thanks for stopping by!!