Monday, January 05, 2015

Grand Illusion Mystery Quilt Link Up

Here we are!  The Grand Finale has arrived...

I have to be honest...when I first laid out some of my quilt block units to get a quick idea of what it was going to look like....my first thought was "hmmm."  :(  I thought the colors I chose are too muddled for the design to come through.  They are all very close to the same value...not too dark, not too light (with the exception of the neutrals).

This is a poor quality cell phone picture...here I just wasn't convinced this was going to work!!  Where Bonnie has her black, I have brown...and with the darker greens, the brown just doesn't show that "spin" like it does in the original colorway....

Another cell phone picture...but I wondered if changing the center block would brighten it up a bit...and yes!  I'm feeling a little more encouraged here....
And yes...I flipped the unit with the orange square.  Not on purpose at first...but truly...I decided I again liked that it brought a bit more brightness to the mix.  And the fact I had sewn a few like this....!!   Ugh.
 Here is the revised block with sashing and cornerstones...it's beginning to grow on me!  I got to work making 100 more half square triangles for the centers....

I have 10 blocks assembled...I like to assemble them one at a time to control where the fabrics fall.  Here they are laid out with blue cornerstones.  I have to say...the picture doesn't do it justice.  It is much more appealing in real life.  LOL

 Then...I wondered what red cornerstones would look like....

Ugh...here I am indecisive again!  Blue or red?  I think I'm leaning a little more towards blue...but I could be swayed!  I'm not usually this perplexed by a quilt!

Don't forget to see all the amazing quilts being assembled...hop on over to Bonnie's link up page!!

Happy Quilting!
~Michelle


20 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I like the blue cornerstones better myself. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely choices! Clever of you to play with the placement a bit to make the best uses of your colors. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful fabrics--the quilt certainly has movement and motion

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the revisions you have made. Personally, I love your colors. This is something I could live with!
    The blue cornerstones are my preference, but go with what talks to you. : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aaaaah, Michelle, I just love your revision of this -- it's fabulous!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the lightened-up centers a lot, and I'm thinking about making some square-in-sqare blocks for mine. Your bold colors show the pattern really well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't read the above comments...I like the red cornerstones and your original spin on the block the best. I think the red cornerstones draw one's eye to the red center of the blocks. Very Thimbleberries-ish. I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your change to the center of the block, it really did brighten it up. You chose gorgeous colors!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay for the changes and blue for the cornerstones.
    I have the same problems with my chosen colours. The softer brown for black and medium to dark blue for green. It's just too same-same value. I didn't flip the corner units of the block but replaced the centre four-patches with square-in-a-square units in yellow-and-aqua and yellow-and-blue. That helps a lot to make the spin work, I think. Well, at least I hope so, I'm still putting together.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your colors and fabrics look great! Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like how the blue pops. love the quilt

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love how you changed out the colors. My fabrics are similar to yours and I'll be honest I am still on step 4 I think. After seeing the reveal I wasn't too thrilled about the design or my fabrics. I'll get back to it and finish it up once I get some of the baby sewing done.
    Kristie

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like the changes you made! I like the blue cornerstones~

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very nice personal adaptations. I do love the red cornerstones. Either way it will be fantastic and happy finishing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Excellent! You know my favorite color is red, but I happen to like the blue corners better--but it is YOUR quilt, not mine.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love how you've changed up Bonnie's pattern to suit your colors. I like the new centers and how you've turned the cheddar pieces toward the center. You could also sash the blocks with some cheddar to show more separation if you feel it's still to busy. I like scrappy in my quilts, but I also like to have a place for the eye to rest. Great job! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the center block change. I noticed it on Bonnie's link up. I vote for the blue corner stone.

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh Michelle, I always love your fabric choices for Bonnie's mysteries. I am still working on clues. I will check back for your finish. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your altered centre block is definitely better with your colours. What a vibrant quilt you have ended up with!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Is quilt is looking great! Your colors came together beautifully. Good job!

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from my blog friends! I had to disable "Anonymous" comments though. Thanks for stopping by!!