Monday, February 02, 2015

Home from retreat...lots of pics!!

What a great trip!  I spent the last 8 days or so in Delaware and Pennsylvania.  My daughter lives in Delaware, so I spent the weekend with her and got to see her new apartment.  We had lots of fun chatting, shopping at Ikea and setting up her new place.  Neither one of us like our picture taken and I don't quite have the "selfie" thing down...so this is the only picture we got.  LOL

After our fun weekend, it was time for retreat!  We actually "had" to go a day early due to the impending storm that was to hit.  Oh darn, an extra day at retreat.  My friend, Lisa, picked me up at Megan's and off we went to Denver, PA, and the Cocalico Quilter's Inn.  It's a retreat center owned and operated by the owners of Burkholder's Fabric Shop.   It's an amazing place...they have thought of everything quilters would need/want in a retreat center.  Our retreat included meals as well, so it was perfect.  Nothing to think about but sewing!

 The fabric shop was less than a mile away, so there was a little daily shopping too.  LOL

We didn't get all the snow they predicted, but it snowed a little almost every day and it was COLD.  We didn't mind...we were happy campers, sewing all day inside!

This is the sewing room...there were 11 of us set up and we had plenty of space to spread out.  There were shared cutting and ironing stations throughout the room too.  That quilt in the bottom of this picture is the project we were working on during the retreat, I can't believe I didn't get a better picture of it.

Our quilt instructor, Sheila, displayed all her beautiful quilts throughout the room.

It was nice and bright and perfect!

Here is my station...Lisa brought a machine for me to use for the week.  Thanks Lisa!!

First thing I did on our extra day, was finish up this month's "Schnibbles" project.  Which, once again, isn't a Schnibbles.  LOL  But it's awesome anyway...it's a paper pieced kaleidoscope mini.  I love the secondary design that pops out after the blocks are all assembled.  Paper piecing is not fast!  LOL  This project took much longer than I anticipated, but it was worth it.  All the fabric is scraps from my Points of Pride quilt, which is also a paper pieced project.  I hope to get it quilted soon!

We all made Hoito Bags too....these were fun and mine came in very handy, as I may have bought a little too much fabric and my suitcase may have been over the weight limit for the airplane.  :)  I ended up using this as a carry on filled with what seemed like about 25 pounds of fabric.  Not a fun thing to carry through what seemed like miles and miles of airport terminals.  LOL  It's hard to resist because you can find such great deals...including whole bolts for $2.50/yard!  I may or may not have come home with a couple of bolts.  :) 

It's hard to get a good picture of how big this thing is...Sheila brought 2-3 of her bags and they each had three or four quilts in them!!  They expand much more than you'd think!

Here is one of my new retreat friends modeling her bag.  :) 

 Did I mention we laughed...a lot....especially when Mary assembled her handle outside the bag when it should have been inserted into the casing first.  She decided she would use it as a halo instead....then she giggled and giggled.  So cute! 

Here are a couple of blocks from each of the quilts being assembled...even though we all used different fabrics and colorways, everything from batiks to Civil War, it all looks good together!


These are my blocks...I have a good start, but alas, I brought home another UFO to add to the list!  LOL  Oh well, it was worth it!


Here are all the ladies at the end of retreat...Lisa and I didn't know any of these ladies when we arrived, but it sure felt like we were long time friends by the time the six days were up.  There is just something about a quilter...we understand each other and have an instant bond!  :)  This truly was a great group of ladies...and we have plans of doing it again next year!  I also didn't get a picture of our amazing "cruise" director, Karen.  She was awesome!  Thanks for making everything so perfect, Karen!!

If you ever get a chance to go...I highly recommend it!! 

Happy Quilting!
~Michelle

9 comments:

  1. Looks like so much fun, Michelle!
    You mean you aren't going to show us the pile of fabric that "may have" come home with you?
    Glad you had such a good time. I do like the quilt you were making. And you red/cream mini quilt is very fetching! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful retreat (I checked the link you provided!!)! Looks like a great time. So sad that our annual Indy retreat was cancelled for this year. I look forward to that time each May. Cute selfie, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Retreats are such fun--beautiful quilts

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing all your retreat photos & stories! Looks like you had a wonderful time. Hope you do share those great fabric finds too. I think I need one of those huge bags to hide stuff in LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed reading your post & looking at the pictures of the retreat. looks like a fun time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Poor baby, having and extra Retreat day! 8-)) The diagonals on that quilt hold it together so well. Great design!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like you had so much fun and adding the visit with your daughter was probably just icing on the cake.

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from my blog friends! I had to disable "Anonymous" comments though. Thanks for stopping by!!