Monday, July 27, 2015

Star Trellis Quilt...a FINISH!


(click for a bigger view)
You know what they say about best laid plans, right?  They don't always go the way you think they will.  I started this quilt at a retreat back in January...and I knew shortly after that I would be giving it as a gift in August.  Plenty of time...right????  Well, of course I had other projects and deadlines and I had "time" left to finish this one.  

Before I knew it, it was time to pack up and move across country and the quilt wasn't anywhere near completion.  BUT...we were moving in our travel trailer and in fact would be living in it for a few weeks between moves.  I've set up my sewing machine in the camper before...I could do it again. 

 The plan was to get the top all together while in our temporary "home" and have it ready to quilt after getting settled in Virginia.  I did get all the blocks assembled, but have you ever tried to assemble a queen size quilt in a 16 foot trailer.  hmmm...not really going to happen, in my opinion.  I'm sure there is someone that made it work, but it just wasn't working for me.  So I packed away the couple of partial rows I had attempted to sew together, plus all the blocks and knew I'd have to get right on it after unpacking and setting up the house.  Suuuurrrrre....

Now it's July and I'm on a real time crunch...the top went together in an afternoon...next day, I added the borders, made the backing and the binding.  I'm thinking...Yeah, I'm golden!!  

We had set up the longarm a week or two before, but I hadn't turned it on until a few days after I finished the top.  I loaded a practice quilt...and it wasn't stitching right.  Ugh.  Luckily, hubby is the detail guy when it comes to setting up the longarm and when he got home from work, he realized the encoders weren't engaged properly.   After he set them right...it was stitching like a dream!  Whew...big relief, to say the least.

Anyway...after a few starts and stops, I'm happy to say, it's finished.  I will still add a label, but I was so excited to get a picture of this guy out in our new backyard this afternoon.  

Is it wrong to love the back as much as the front?  I used leftover block parts for the back....

I've had this red in my stash for years...it's pretty, but it just doesn't play well with other reds, so it's not been my favorite.  For some reason, I had two large (over a yard) pieces of it.  I was so thrilled to see how well it worked for the binding and backing.  I used up all but about 5" of that red and the rest was cut up and put in my 1.5" strip bin.

I'm glad to have this one checked off the UFO list!

Happy Quilting!
~Michelle

16 comments:

  1. It's beautiful! Congratulations on getting it finished! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's another beautiful quilt, Michelle! And, so glad that hubby is the "detail guy"!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your quilt turned out beautiful! I've done that, thought I had enough time and then had to really scramble to get a quilt done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Serious time crunch there. But you came through and it is another scrappy beauty, Michelle!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My gosh, you are AMAZING, Michelle!!!! I'm reading blogs for the first time in forever and as I'm reading your post, I'm saying in my head, "aha, aha, oh no, yes!" lol That quilt is gorgeous! Is it one of Bonnie's patterns? The lucky recipient.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great finish Michelle and think the red is perfect for your backing....nice way to use up some of the fabrics that aren't in our "just love" pile. Bet you are glad to be back in the swing of sewing ;))0

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love hearing a quilt's story! You did an amazing job as usual. It is beautifully scrappy. I think the backing of a quilt should be just as interesting as the front! A 2 for 1 in my opinion!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful quilt--yes my best laid plans seem to take ten times more time than I think they will

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is really gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you figured out the glitch. I love the colors. What is the pattern? Would love to find a copy of it..... something about scrappy :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. The quilt is lovely and your backing is always a wonderful surprise. Someone is going to be very happy with this quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful quilt! Nothing like a deadline to make you get it done. I love that red fabric but can see that it could be hard to match it to other reds. I looks lovely on the back.
    Lynn C.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This quilt is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fabulous! Colors are great!

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from my blog friends! I had to disable "Anonymous" comments though. Thanks for stopping by!!