Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Weddings and Wild & Goosey

No, the wedding wasn't Wild & Goosey....(well, maybe the party after the reception was!).  My brother's and new sister in law's wedding was just amazing.  They were married on August 1st and I am so glad we were able to be there.  The quilt I blogged about in my last post was a gift for them and I think they really loved it.  She already has it on the bed!


Since being home, I haven't been feeling 100%...I think I picked up somebody's icky germs on the airplane or airport.  Ugh.  It started out as a sore throat, but it's now a full blown head cold, fever, congestion, etc.  Needless to say, I'm not being very productive, sewing or otherwise.

Today, however, I made myself go into the sewing room and pick something to work on.  The only thing that motivated me was to finally try the Wild & Goosey block.  This quilt has been on my bucket list forever.  The pattern is from the May/June '13 issue of Quiltmaker Magazine...and it's one of Bonnie Hunter's "Addicted to Scraps" blocks.  Can I just say...I love it!!!  So fun and so cool to be using up the tiniest of scraps.  I love that it's paper pieced because it's so easy to use up those wonky shape leftover pieces.

I've not been good about saving "crumbs."  Anything smaller than 1.5" square usually goes in the trash, but I decided to start saving smaller pieces because they work great for this block.  Each "goose" block finishes at 3" and the whole block finishes at 7".   The larger outer triangles came from my 2.5" square bin, the sashing strips came from my 1.5" strip bin.  How cool is that to have everything precut and ready to work with?!
I need lots more variety in this crumb box...it's mostly reds, blacks, and blues.  There is no rush though, I'll make a few here and there.  I'll definitely be saving those smaller scraps from now on!

Have you tried the Wild & Goosey block?

Happy Quilting!
~Michelle

5 comments:

  1. I love that block! You're going to have another beautiful quilt when you're done! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I applaud your dedication to making the block. It looks too fiddly for me. I still have a UFO that Milah and I both worked on years ago very similar. I doubt I'll ever finish it. Or maybe you'll inspire me to drag it out. I won't hold my breath just in case.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun block! Hope you're feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! I have this quilt started and in a box somewhere. Shew....I really need to start finishing some things. :) Yours is beautiful!
    Kristie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wild and Goosey is so addicting. Love your block!

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from my blog friends! I had to disable "Anonymous" comments though. Thanks for stopping by!!